Make Your Own Hoop-Dee-Doo Fried Chicken at Home!
Before we get going, I want to get give you a warning: If you currently have an empty stomach you are about to be ravenous as I am about to share with your the secret recipe to the iconic fried chicken at the Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue in Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground!
Before we get to the juicy details, did you know that each night over 800 pounds of fried chicken is prepared by the super talented Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue culinary team?! That’s right – 800 pounds! Yum!
After being closed for over two years, the culinary team as well as the entertainers are over-joyed to be back cooking up an amazing feast and dinner show for Guests to enjoy.
“Our team was so excited to get back in the kitchen and whip up our beloved fried chicken again,” Chef at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground, Julie Hrywnak, said.
Julie went on to say, “They really bring the culinary magic to the whole experience and enjoy the guests’s smiles and energy in the room when the fried chicken is presented to the tables during the show.”
Just like everything else at Disney, serving up the fried chicken during the Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue is all about the details! To make sure the presentation is just right, music from the show is piped into the kitchen so the Cast Members know the exact time to bring one of the stars of the show out.
Julie said, “Our cast love to sing along to the show as they prepare the country fest. And the fried chicken is definitely a guest favorite that keeps them coming back for more!”
Now, without further delay here is the reciepe for the mouth-watering Fried Chicken served up at the Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue!
Famous Fried Chicken from Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue
- 3 cups cold water
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 4 tablespoons coarse salt
- 1 medium chicken, cut into 2 legs, 2 breasts, 2 thighs, and 2 wings
- Canola oil, for frying
- Reserved brined chicken
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons ground white pepper
- Combine cold water, garlic powder, and coarse salt in a large glass bowl. Add cut up chicken.
- Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours.
For Fried Chicken:
- With caution, heat 3 inches of oil in a heavy-bottomed pot until it reaches 350°F.
- Remove chicken from brine and pat dry.
- Whisk flour, cornstarch, salt, paprika, onion powder, and white pepper in a shallow bowl or pie plate. Dredge chicken in seasoned flour, making sure to fully coat each piece.
- Carefully place chicken in hot oil, working in batches if necessary. Cook chicken, turning once, 13-14 minutes for breasts, 9-10 minutes for thighs, 7-8 minutes for legs and wings, until all meat reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Carefully remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
*Always use caution when handling sharp objects and hot contents. Please supervise children who are helping or nearby.
*This recipe has been converted from a larger quantity in the restaurant kitchens. The flavor profile may vary from the restaurant’s version.
Secret Tips and Tricks from Chef Julie
To make your Hoop-Dee-Doo Fried Chicken the best, make sure to follow these tips and tricks from Chef Julie, herself:
- Don’t over-bread the chicken, all it needs is one really good coat
- Make sure your oil is between 325-350 degrees to get the chicken nice and crispy
- Have fun with it! Fried chicken is a comfort food and is meant to be enjoyed!
Let us know in the comments below if you will be making the Famous Fried Chicken from Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue in your kitchen!
Would you rather enjoy the Famous Fried Chicken in person during your next Walt Disney World vacation? Fill out the form below or send an email to Holly@MickeyTravels.com for a FREE, no-obligation quote to book your Disney vacation.
As an agent with MickeyTravels (a Platinum Earmarked Agency), I will be on hand to help you with everything from finding your perfect package and I offer rate monitoring to ensure you are receiving the best rate available by Disney! I work with all Disney Destinations and destinations outside of Disney. Best of all, my services are absolutely FREE. Get in touch via email at Holly@MickeyTravels.com or calling 954.401.9577. Also, make sure to CLICK HERE to follow along with my Facebook page for all things Disney and giveaways!
Image/Source Credit: Disney