RECIPE: Hidden Mickey Cupcake
Who doesn’t love a good Hidden Mickey!? Half the fun of a Disney stay is seeing how many Mickey’s you’ll find throughout the theme parks and resorts and now you can add you’re baking to the list!
As part of Member Appreciation Week, D23, Disney’s official Fan Club is sharing a delectable cupcake recipe with a very special surprise inside. It takes a little bit of extra effort but we think it’s worth it.
For the cupcakes:
- 2 boxes white cake mix (or your favorite white cake recipe)
- any necessary additional ingredients as directed on the box (eggs, water, oil)
- 5-10 drops blue food coloring
For the buttercream:
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp milk
- A pinch of salt
- 5-10 drops blue food coloring
For the topping (optional but encouraged):
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 5-10 drops pink or magenta food coloring
- Blue sprinkles
Follow these simple steps to conjure up a bit of Disney magic.
Step 1: Make the base for the cake balls
- Add water, oil and eggs to 1 box cake mix.
- Once ingredients are combined, add blue food coloring and mix until you reach your desired color.
- Line a 9 X 13 baking tray with parchment, pour the batter into tray, smooth the surface. Follow baking instruction on the cake box.
- Allow cake to cool before removing from the tray and peeling the parchment paper of the bottom.
Step 2: Make the buttercream
- In large bow combine softened butter, powdered sugar and whisky with an electric mixer on low.
- Add vanilla, blue food coloring, milk and a pinch of salt. Mix until smooth and fluffy.
- Spoon half frosting into a piping bag and set aside to decorate.
Step 3: Make the cake balls
- Combine blue sheet cake with remaining frosting and mist together until combined and crumbly.
- Roll the cake and frosting mixture into 12 balls, about 1-inch in diameter, and 24 smaller balls, about 1/2-inch in diameter. These will make up the hidden Mickey shape inside each cupcake.
Step 4: Make the cupcakes
- Combine ingredients and second box cake mix , adding water, oil, and eggs as directed on the box. Prepare a cupcake tin with cupcake liners
- Spoon one tablespoon of batter into each liner.
- Place one of the large cake balls into the center of each liner.
- Spoon another tablespoon of batter into each liner (over the first cake ball) then place two smaller cake balls into each liner. Balance each one between the first cake ball and the side of the liner.
- Spoon a tablespoon or more of batter into each liner so that all of the cake balls are covered.
- Follow the baking instructions on the cake mix box.
Step 5: Decorate
- Create pink chocolate ganache topping by placing the heavy cream in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 45 seconds.
- Add in the white chocolate chips.
- Stir with spatula until the chocolate chips are fully melted and mixture is smooth.
- Add pink food coloring and mix the desired color is reached.
- Spoon into piping bag with a small tip.
- When cupcakes have cooled, pipe a swirl of blue buttercream on top.
- Drizzle the pink chocolate ganache on top and add sprinkles.
- When ready to serve, slice each cupcake along the line you created with the cake balls, so that the cut divides all three and reveals the hidden Mickey. Enjoy!
Readers are encouraged to keep following along with MickeyBlog for even more delectable Disney recipes!
Didn’t make it to Disney in 2021!? Well we’ve got some fantastic news- Disney Packages are currently available to book through the end of 2022! That gives you plenty of time to plan that magical getaway and I’m here to help.
With new policies and procedures in place during the year ahead, there’s never been a better time to work with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner who can help you navigate through Disney World’s new way of doing things! I’ll be on hand to assist with everything from finding that perfect package and getting the best deals to organizing park passes, Disney Genie+ and dining reservations. Best of all- my services are ABSOLUTELY FREE!