RECIPE: Sukuma Wiki From Sanaa at Animal Kingdom Lodge
Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge is one of my favorite places to stay in all of Walt Disney World. One of the main reasons is the incredible cuisine. Sanaa, with its eclectic array of dishes and the most amazing bread course you’ll ever have is a great example of this and thankfully Chef Sahib Bhatti is going to share some of his knowledge with us.
As part of “Celebrate Soulfully,” Chef, who is a native of Tanzania, will be sharing a recipe know as Sukuma Wiki. It features one of his favorite ingredients – collard greens.
The name Sukuma Wiki translates from Swahili to “stretch the week.” The dish is often served with market-fresh sustainable fish, yellow rice, onions, garlic, spices and collard greens. He remembers this dish being served up when he was a child saying, “When things are tough, and meat is scarce, you can depend on these bountiful greens to make this soulful braise.”
Chef Sahib has been dazzling guests since starting at Disney eleven years ago. His career began as an entry-level cook at Disney’s Boardwalk while working his way through culinary school.
You can check out Chef’s Sukuma Wiki by following the recipe below:
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced,
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 lb collard greens, washed and chopped
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper.
- Heat Canola oil in a Dutch oven over a medium heat for 5 minutes until hot.
- Add onions and saute for 5-8 minutes (until soft and translucent)
- Add garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add cumin, coriander and turmeric and stir for 30 seconds (until very fragrant.)
- Slowly add collard greens (make sure all the greens are coated in the spices) and cook for 2 minutes (when the greens start to wilt.)
- Stir in tomatoes and vegetable stock
- Bring to a simmer, cover and cook over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
We can’t wait to give this a try over the weekend! Readers are encouraged to keep following along with us for further Walt Disney World news and updates!
Didn’t make it to Disney in 2021!? Well we’ve got some fantastic news- Disney Packages are currently available to book through the end of 2022! That gives you plenty of time to plan that magical getaway and I’m here to help.
With new policies and procedures in place during the year ahead, there’s never been a better time to work with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner who can help you navigate through Disney World’s new way of doing things! I’ll be on hand to assist with everything from finding that perfect package and getting the best deals to organizing park passes, Disney Genie+ and dining reservations. Best of all- my services are ABSOLUTELY FREE!