Disney’s Hollywood Studios Celebrates 30th Anniversary With Multiyear Transformation
Can you believe it’s been over 30 years since Disney’s Hollywood Studios (aka Disney-MGM Studios) opened its gates? It’s amazing to think how far this park has come. Although the official anniversary date was on May 1st, Disney’s Hollywood Studios is continuing the celebration with the grand opening of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge on Aug. 29, 2019.
On opening day, the park gave guests a behind-the-scenes look at movie making. Many of the Tinseltown icons that debuted May 1, 1989, remain, such as re-creations of the Chinese Theatre and The Hollywood Brown Derby, while the park has evolved into a place that envelops guests in even more immersive experiences. From high-octane fun with Lightning McQueen to playing like a toy with Woody and Buzz Lightyear to exploring a new world in the Star Wars galaxy far, far away, today’s Disney’s Hollywood Studios brings stories to life in whole new ways. And there is still more excitement to come with the planned opening of Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway in spring 2020.
These additions mark a new generation of attractions that cement the transformation of Disney’s Hollywood Studios and propel the park into the future.
“From the early days of making movies to today’s focus on engaging guests, putting them in the story, Disney’s Hollywood Studios has followed an amazing arc across three decades,” said Phil Holmes, vice president of the park. “I’m thrilled with its transformation and look forward to an exciting future. Given all the new and coming attractions, our message to guests is clear: let your adventures begin at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.”
What’s New Around Disney’s Hollywood Studios During Its 30th Anniversary Year
- At Lightning McQueen’s Racing Academy, guests learn what it takes to be a champion racer. Lightning McQueen, star of Pixar Animation Studios’ Cars films, uses state-of-the-art technology and a massive wraparound screen to teach the rules of the road as guests become rookie racers in this new show experience. In the courtyard outside, the world of Cars comes to life for guests as DJ, the ultimate party on wheels, spins a music mix and trainer-turned-racer Cruz Ramirez takes photos with her fans. “DJ’s Ready! Set! Party Time!” also offers Cars-inspired dancing and games, and guests can pose with the Piston Cup.
- Woody, Jessie, Buzz and other fun-loving Toy Story characters welcome guests to Toy Story Land, where they feel like “honorary toys” in the larger-than-life outdoor setting of Andy’s backyard. Amid giant-size toys, guests can experience the family-friendly roller coaster Slinky Dog Dash, take a spin on Alien Swirling Saucers and enjoy the 4D fun of Toy Story Mania! And now, Bo Peep from “Toy Story 4” makes appearances in Toy Story Land.
- With its pulsing lights and singalong-worthy songs, the new Disney Junior Dance Party! invites kids to jump, twirl and move their feet with characters from Disney Junior television series live onstage. Doc McStuffins, Vampirina, Timon and Mickey Mouse lead the fun of this high-energy show.
- Mike and Sulley from Disney • Pixar’s “Monsters, Inc.” greet guests in Walt Disney Presents, a walk-through gallery exploring Walt Disney’s creative legacy and showcasing concept art and models of upcoming park additions.
Coming Attractions at Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- On Aug. 29, 2019, Disney’s Hollywood Studios will mark a major milestone in its 30-year history when the much-anticipated Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge opens to guests. This expansive and immersive new land will transport guests to the distant planet of Batuu, where they can live out their own Star Wars They can take the controls of the most famous ship in the galaxy in Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run or explore Black Spire Outpost in search of rare antiquities and exotic food and drink. Opening Dec. 5, 2019, will be Star Wars:Rise of the Resistance, putting guests in the middle of a climactic battle between the First Order and the Resistance.
- Imagine being inside a Mickey Mouse cartoon short! Anything can happen aboard Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway, where guests will burst through the Chinese Theatre movie screen and join Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse and pals on a wacky adventure. With a planned opening in spring 2020, this first ride-through attraction themed to Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse will feature dazzling visual effects, a lovable theme song and surprising twists and turns that will be fun for the entire family.
To get to all this action, guests will be able to access Disney’s Hollywood Studios via Disney Skyliner, a state-of-the-art gondola system opening Sept. 29, 2019, that will connect the park (and Epcot) to four Disney resort hotels. Soaring above Walt Disney World Resort, guests will have views never seen before as they prepare to let their adventures begin at the newly transformed Disney’s Hollywood Studios.
Ready to experience Disney for yourself?
There are still fantastic 2019 packages available and 2020 vacations are now open to book too! Fill out our form below for your FREE, no-obligation quote with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner with MickeyTravels!
Do you want more help planning your next Disney vacation? As an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner, my goal is to help you plan the Magic your way. I also create customized itineraries, book advanced dining and FastPass+ reservations, monitor for discounts for your vacation, and much much more! Also, did I mention that my services are FREE? Get in touch toll-free at 1-800-454-4501, via email at SPhillips@MickeyTravels.com or follow me on Facebook!