Ultimate Guide to A Pirates Adventure in Magic Kingdom
I must have walked by the Crow’s Nest in Adventureland five dozen times in the last six years, and I never stopped to see what’s inside. I’m not sure I even knew there was anything inside anymore. I knew it used to be a camera shop, and I guess I just figured the building was no longer in use for park guests. You can imagine my surprise when a dear Disney friend told me that it now houses the starting point for A Pirates Adventure ~ Treasures of the Seven Seas.
This attraction opened at Magic Kingdom in 2013, and apparently, it’s a fairly well-kept secret, so naturally, I had to check it out. Here’s what I learned:
Pirates Adventure is a self-guided scavenger hunt around Adventureland based on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride and movies. Would-be swashbucklers (that’s us) are recruited to help Captain Jack fight off enemies and be the first to raid all the treasures of the Seven Seas.
Captain Jack has already located two of the seven treasures, leaving 5 for us to uncover on our own. These missions are:
- Heads You Lose: Steal the treasure of the Pacific from a tribe of headhunters before Captain Barbosa gets to it.
- Guardian’s Curse: Claim the treasure of the Indian Ocean while luring an evil captain of the Royal Navy into a trap.
- Haven Defense: Hide the secret Pirate Port with a spell and uncover the treasures of the Caribbean.
- A King’s Ransom: Find the pirate ship where the treasure of the Arctic is hidden using Jack’s clues.
- Blackbeard: Battle the infamous pirate to win the treasure of the Mediterranean.
How to play:
Simply stop by the Crow’s Nest in Adventureland. This is the small building just past the Pirates of the Caribbean ride, and across from Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn and Tortuga Tavern. A Crew Member there will answer any questions and direct you to a touch screen for an introduction to the attraction. Your MagicBand or ticket card will serve as your special talisman, and you will be assigned one of 5 maps to start.
Using the map, simply locate the symbol engraved on a skull and touch your talisman to it to start. You will hear instructions about each step of your treasure hunt and watch the props come to life. But don’t let the talking skulls or hissing snakes distract you from you mission. Pay attention as the magic symbol is revealed for your next stop.
Each treasure hunt will take you to four or five locations, lasting about 45 seconds each. Depending on crowds, it takes about 20 minutes total per task. At the last stop, your treasure will be revealed.
Be sure to tell the Pirate back at the Crow’s Nest what the treasure is to collect your prize: a souvenir treasure card. If you complete all five missions, you will become an official Pirate Member of Captain Jack’s crew and receive a sixth card signed by Captain Jack Sparrow himself.
Rumor has it…and note this is NOT confirmed or advertised by Disney…that once you complete 2 of the missions, you may be granted a free FastPass+ for the Pirates of the Caribbean ride.
Why we love it:
- It’s FREE with park admission.
- You’ll experience Adventureland as you never have before, uncovering details and artifacts you may not otherwise have noticed in this richly-themed land.
- Other park guests are sure to stop and ask, “how did you do that” as they watch you bring the animatronics to life.
- This is not a timed event. You can stop and start each raid at your leisure as you tour.
- It’s confined only to Adventureland, so you don’t have to travel all over Magic Kingdom searching for clues
- There is really no strategy involved. Once you find each stop on the map you can just watch the entertainment before you and then move on to the next stop.
- The treasure maps and completion cards make great souvenirs…and did I mention they’re FREE?!?
MickeyTravels Pro Tips:
- Be sure to check the Crow’s Nest hours on the My Disney Experience app, as they are subject to change.
- We recommend treasure hunting during daylight hours so you can easily see all the Magic unfolding before you.
- It’s a great time filler and a fun way to slow down and enjoy the details throughout Adventureland as you wait for your next FastPass+ or dining reservation.
Contact me today for a FREE quote and to book your own Pirate’s Adventure!