Oga’s Cantina to Serve Smugglers at Star Wars Land
Did Han shoot first? I- and the mastermind behind the most galatic-tacular space saga ever created- both think so. There is still some debate among the fans of the epic Star Wars films. Those very same fans who have dreamed of blaster shootouts and shooting back drinks in cantinas like the one in that famous scene from the first film will soon have their chance. Fans; begin your training now, because when Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge opens at Disneyland and Walt Disney World Resort next year, Oga’s Cantina’s doors will be open for all from bounty hunter to Jedi knight.
“Visitors come to this notorious local watering hole to unwind, conduct shady business, and maybe even encounter a friend…or a foe. Run by an intriguing alien proprietor, Oga Garra, the cantina adheres to a strict code of conduct that tries to keep its unruly patrons in check. But with a history of being a smugglers’ safe haven and a popular stopping point for those seeking to avoid the authorities, you can bet that the cantina has a story or two to tell.” –Disney Parks Blog
Disney released an official statement a couple weeks ago detailing more of what we can expect from the already highly-anticipated land. With promises of random character drop-ins and live space-themed music, it’s almost a guarantee that a lively and energy-packed atmosphere will automatically come with the territory!
We’re still a year away from Galaxy’s Edge opening at Disneyland, and there are certainly more unanswered questions than those that we have answers for, did Disney just reveal one huge one that park goers have been dying to set straight?
What We Know
Like I said, there are so many unanswered questions looming like the Death Star over Alderan that we can’t even pretend to know all the answers. However, piece by piece, snippet by snippet, and little by little, we’re learning more and more about the attractions and experiences that we will all soon have the chance to experience. Here’s what we know so far:
- Black Spire Outpost is the name of the never before seen planet that will play host for the new land. This out-of-the-way planet sits on the ‘galaxy’s edge’ (clever) and is a notorious stopping point for smugglers and innocent passersby seeking refugee from the Empire. Or First Order. Or whatever Star Wars time period you prefer.
- At Hollywood Studios, a completely immersive new Resort Hotel will open in conjunction with the land. Featuring an exclusive entrance to Hollywood Studios, reservations will book up before you can say “lightsaber”.
- It is set to be the largest single-themed land to ever be imagined and created by Disney Parks- both at Disneyland and Hollywood Studios!
- The opening seasons have been set: Summer 2019 for Disneyland, and Fall 2019 for Walt Disney World
- There will be not one, but two all-new attractions:
- A First Order-themed attraction will focus on, you guessed it, the First Order!
- Of course, the headliner here will be the Millennium Falcon attraction which will allow guests to actually pilot the ship that famously made the Kessel run in 12 parsecs.
Can I See Some ID?
Now that we’ve covered everything that we do know, let’s get into one big, huge, looming question that I think was answered with the announcement of Oga’s Cantina: Disneyland Resort will now sell alcohol. Many guests feared this would occur, while many more prayed to Yoda that it would become a reality.
In the statement announcing the cantina’s name, this sentence also appeared: “Patrons of the cantina come from across the galaxy to sample the famous concoctions created with exotic ingredients using “otherworldly” methods, served in unique vessels. With choices for kids and libations for adults, the cantina will make for a great stop!”
Since the statement explicitly stated that the cantina will land at the Resorts on both coasts, we can’t help but assume that Disneyland Park’s current alcohol-free policy will soon be revoked. Some are speculating that Galaxy’s Edge will be seen as an almost entirely separate park, while others are welcoming the decades-in-the-making change. What do you think of the idea? Will you and your family head to the cantina when you visit Galaxy’s Edge? Let us know below!
Want to visit Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge?
Thanks for visiting MickeyBlog.com! Want to go to Disney? For a FREE quote on your next Disney vacation, please fill out the form below and one of the agents from MickeyTravels, a Platinum level Authorized Disney Vacation Planner will be in touch soon!
Special thanks to Maria Salerno for writing this article: Hiya pal! I am a NYC-based writer thrilled to be a part of your Disney vacation planning! I’m a WDW Annual Passholder, so you can find me in the parks regularly throughout the year. In addition to being a Disney Parks loving girl, I’m also a Disney toy and merchandise collector, a runDisney enthusiast, and Disney music and movie aficionado. You can follow me on Instagram: NYCtoAP and find me on YouTube: NYCtoAP. Thanks for reading, hope to see ya real soon!