RECIPE: Recreate Festival of the Art’s Passionfruit Mousse
A highlight of the incredible EPCOT International Festival of the Arts each year is the opportunity to sample some incredible dishes at the Food Studios. A few weeks ago we shared toe FULL food studio menus with you and there was one treat that definitely caught our eye!
Located between Morocco & France you’ll find a brand new food studio called Vibrante & Vivido!
Here you’ll find a flavorful array of Latin-inspired dishes including the Chilled Seafood Cocktail with Octopus, Scallops, Shrimp, Black Garlic Aïoli, Tomato-Coconut Sauce, and Serrano-Lime Oil; a Blue Corn Pupusa-stuffed with Cheese and topped with Shredded Pork, Guajillo and Árbol Chile Sauce, Cabbage Slaw, and Aji Amarillo Crema (Gluten/Wheat Friendly) and a Passion Fruit Mousse with Dragon Fruit Jam.
Beverages include a coconut and passion fruit smoothie (non-alcoholic), a frozen piña colada and a passion fruit daiquiri.
For those that can’t make it to the Festival of the Arts this year, you still have the opportunity to conjure up some of these awesome flavors at home with the Passion Fruit Mousse recipe below!
MOUSSE DE MARACUYA CON PITAYA ROJA (PASSION FRUIT MOUSSE WITH DRAGON FRUIT JAM)
Makes 12 Servings
Dragon Fruit Jam
- 1 (12 ounce) bag frozen red dragon fruit
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
Mousse de Maracuya
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup passion fruit purée
- 1 cup chopped white chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Reserved dragon fruit jam
- 3/4 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Dragon Fruit Glaçage
- 15 gelatin sheets
- 2 cups ice water
- 1 1/4 cups frozen red dragon fruit
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 cups chopped white chocolate
Passion Fruit Sauce
- 2/3 cup passion fruit purée
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
For Dragon Fruit Jam:
- Combine dragon fruit, sugar, and lime juice in small saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat until liquid begins to boil. Reduce to simmer and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thick.
- Place in medium bowl and cool for 30 minutes. Blend with immersion blender until smooth.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
For Mousse de Maracuya:
- Combine sugar and passion fruit purée in small saucepan. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, until hot but not boiling.
- Place white chocolate in medium glass bowl. Pour hot passion fruit mixture on top and rest for 2 minutes. Stir until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Whip heavy cream in bowl of electric mixer fitted with whisk attachment until stiff peaks form. Gently fold whipped cream into chilled passion fruit mixture.
- Transfer mousse to piping bag fitted with large round tip.
- Fill twelve 3 1/4 x 2 1/8 x 1 1/4-inch rectangular silicone molds half way full with mousse.
- Pour reserved dragon fruit jam into piping bag fitted with small round tip. Carefully pipe a thick strip of jam into the center of each mold, being careful to avoid the edges.
- Fill each mold with remaining mousse, filling to top.
- Freeze for a least 4 hours, or overnight.
For Sugar Cookies:
- Cream together butter and sugar in bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Add eggs and vanilla and beat on medium speed until mixed. Add flour, baking powder, and salt, and mix on low speed until soft dough forms.
- Cover and chill dough in refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line 2 baking sheets with silicone baking mats.
- Roll dough on floured surface into 1/4-inch thick rectangle. Cut into twelve 3 1/2 x 2 1/2-inch rectangles.
- Place 6 cookies on each baking sheet. Bake 12-15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Cool completely.
- Once cookies are cool, place all 12 cookies on parchment-lined baking sheet. Set aside.
For Dragon Fruit Galçage:
- Bloom gelatin sheets in ice water.
- Heat dragon fruit and sugar in small saucepan over medium heat until boiling.
- Drain excess water from gelatin sheets.
- Add gelatin and sweetened condensed milk to boiling sugar mixture.
- Place chopped white chocolate in large bowl. Pour warm mixture over white chocolate. Let sit for 2 minutes.
- Carefully blend with immersion blender until chocolate and dragon fruit are smooth.
- Cool to 90°F.
For Passion Fruit Sauce:
- Place passion fruit purée, lime juice, and sugar in small saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, until boiling.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, until sauce thickens and begins to reduce.
- Remove from heat and cool to room temperature before use.
- Remove frozen mousse from molds. Place on baking sheet lined with silicone baking mat.
- Pour 2 1/2 cups of the 90°F dragon fruit glaçage into liquid measuring cup. Carefully pour on top of the frozen mousse, making sure edges and sides are covered. Set in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Reheat remaining glaçage in a saucepan over low heat until it reaches 90°F. Pour into liquid measuring cup and pour over mousse for a second coat.
- Place one mousse onto the center of each cookie. If mousse is too soft, place in freezer for 10 minutes before moving. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Place 1 tablespoon of passion fruit syrup on each plate. Spread evenly into a circle with a pastry brush or by pressing the flat edge of drinking glass against the syrup.
- Place cookie with mousse on sauce to serve.
Cook’s Note: Refrigerate any leftover jam in a sealed container – it’s delicious spread on warm buttered toast.
It may seem like a lot of work but trust me when I say that the payoff is definitely worth it!
Readers are encouraged to keep following along with MickeyBlog for more awesome recipe ideas! Also consider a visit to EPCOT between now and February 22nd to experience all that the EPCOT International Festival of the Arts has to offer!
Thinking about a visit to Disney World in 2021? Getting started is easy! Simply fill out our form below to get your FREE, no-obligation quote from MickeyTravels.
Find articles like this helpful? Then why not consider working with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner? As an agent with MickeyTravels, I’ll be on hand to assist you with everything from finding your perfect package to helping you plan lots of special touches to make your visit truly magical. Best of all my services are absolutely FREE. Get in touch at 1.800.801.4025 via email at firstname.lastname@example.org