Disney World Charging Tax on Pay-Per-Ride Attractions
If you’ve been following along with us here at MickeyBlog, you’ll know that Disney World’s new Genie+ service launched today and we’re finding out all sorts of interesting tidbits of information.
With the unveiling of the NEW Disney Genie System, Disney World is replacing their previous FastPass option with new paid for options of which there are two types:
- Genie+: Guests pay $15 per person per day for front-of-the-line access to many Walt Disney World attractions.
- Individual Lightning Lane – Disney World has taken several of their most popular attractions at each park and instead of offering them as a part of Genie+ are instead offering these for a special fee per ride. Disney has previously said that Lightning Lane prices for each ride will vary by day of the week and season.
During our visit today, we had a first chance to check out some of the sample pricing for Lightning Lane. Here’s a quick look:
- Seven Dwarfs Mine Train – Magic Kingdom: $10
- Space Mountain – Magic Kingdom – $7
- Expedition Everest – Disney’s Animal Kingdom – $7
- Flight of Passage – Disney’s Animal Kingdom – $11
- Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway – Disney’s Hollywood Studios. $8.
- Star Wars Rise of the Resistance – Disney’s Hollywood Studios. $15
- Frozen Ever After – EPCOT- $9
- Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure- EPCOT $11.
But here’s something that we weren’t expecting. For those looking to purchase these front-of-the-line passes as part of Individual Lightning Lane, Disney is charging tax!
So the per person cost will actually be more than those listed on the app. Let’s take a look:
Above, you can see Greg purchasing Lightning Lane tickets for Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.
As you can see the cost of an individual attraction Lightning Lane pass is $10 per person. However, $.65 is added to the cost of the service for tax.
That means the total for one ride is not $10 but rather $10.65.
Though it’s no surprising that tax is being charged given that these individual passes are being treated like any other add-on including PhotoPass or tickets, it is another surprising add on to a system that before the pandemic was FREE.
Also, the pricing above is reflective of ONE person. If your purchasing a ticket for one ride for a family of 5, not only will this set you back $50.00 but also a higher tax rate given the total.
This is something families will definitely want to be aware of as you are budgeting for your Disney days using the new system.
We are coming to you LIVE! from the theme parks all day where we are trying out the new Lightning Lane system so keep following along with us.
Have you heard the news!? Walt Disney World packages are currently available through 2022! Book your getaway with ME before the end of 2021 and I’ll throw in a Disney Gift Card!* Plus 1 lucky family will be picked each month to receive a special in-room delivery from Disney Floral & Gifts! Simply fill out my form below to get your FREE, no obligation quote!
With new policies and procedures in place for next year, there’s never been a better time to work with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner who can help you navigate through Disney’s new way of doing things! Just fill out my form HERE to get your FREE, no-obligation quote. Alternatively, feel free to reach out at email@example.com or follow along on Facebook