Breaking Down 28 Emmy Nominations for Marvel
WandaVision garnered the most Emmy attention for Marvel Studios…
This year, at the (virtual) water cooler, more often than not, peeps were talking about Marvel’s WandaVision.
Why you ask? Well, just listen to my favorite reviewer, Perri Nemiroff, breakdown the show first few offerings:
“It’s just plain old fun watching characters that you’ve come to know and love in a completely different setting,” said Nemiroff. “It’s especially enjoyable when you are doing that with such versatile actors.”
Yep, that breaks it down pretty well. Especially since it wasn’t just the series leads (Paul Bettany as “Vision,” Elizabeth Olsen as “Wanda”) who carried the show. There was a whole swath of folks who helped make WandaVision so successful.
Kathryn Hahn comes immediately to mind.
23 Nominations for WandaVision
Moreover, as a testament to the show’s strength, the show was nominated for 23 Emmys.
— WandaVision (@wandavision) July 13, 2021
Marvel Studios’ first foray into short-form series, WandaVision, was the third most-nominated series for the 2021 Emmy Awards season with 23 nominations, including Outstanding Lead Actor nods for Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany, a supporting actress nod for Kathryn Hahn, as well as Outstanding Limited Series. “Agatha All Along” also nabbed a nomination for Outstanding Music and Lyrics.
WandaVision’s full list included noms for Oustanding…
- Limited Series
- Lead Actress in a Limited Series (Elizabeth Olsen)
- Lead Actor in a Limited Series (Paul Bettany)
- Supporting Actress in a Limited Series (Kathryn Hahn)
- Directing for a Limited Series (Matt Shakman)
- Writing for a Limited (three episodes)
Chuck Hayward, Peter Cameron – “All-New Halloween Spooktacular!”
Jan Schaeffer – “Filmed Before a Live Studio Audience”
Laura Donney – “Previously On”
- Production Design for a Narrative Program (Half-Hour)
- Casting for a Limited or Anthology Series or Movie
- Fantasy/Sci-Fi Costumes
- Single-Camera Picture Editing for a Limited or Anthology Series or Movie (two episodes)
“On A Very Special Episode…”
“The Series Finale”
- Period and/or Character Hairstyling
- Main Title Design
- Period and or Character Makeup (Non-Prosthetic)
- Music Composition for a Limited or Anthology Series, Movie or Special (Original Dramatic Score)
- Original Music and Lyrics (“Agatha All Along”)
- Main Title Theme Music
- Music Supervision
- Sound Editing for a Limited or Anthology Series, Movie or Special
- Sound Mixing for a Limited or Anthology Series or Movie
- Special Visual Effects in a Season or a Movie
The Falcon and The Winter Soldier Nominated, Too
Meanwhile, WandaVision wasn’t the only show to gather some attention.
The Falcon and The Winter Soldier also earned five Emmy noms.
The @TelevisionAcad recognized Marvel Studios and @DisneyPlus with an impressive 28 #Emmys nominations! Congratulations to the cast and crew behind #WandaVision and #FalconAndWinterSoldier: https://t.co/m05f0pgBJZ
— Marvel Entertainment (@Marvel) July 14, 2021
And Perri gave a review of the second Disney+ Marvel show, too.
Watch as she discusses Episode 1 of the series:
As such, The Falcon and The Winter Soldier earned noms for outstanding:
- Guest Actor in a Drama Series (Don Cheadle)
- Sound Editing for a Comedy or Drama Series (One Hour)
- Special Visual Effects in a Season
- Stunt Coordination
- Stunt Performance
The 73rd Primetime Emmy Awards air on September 19.
Feature Image: Disney+