New Job Posting Hints at the Return of Fireworks to Walt Disney World
As things slowly start to return to “normal” at Walt Disney World, everyone is wondering when our beloved fireworks shows will return. While an exact date has not been announced yet by Disney, it’s looking like the return could be imminent with this new job posting on DisneyCarers for a Fireworks & Special Effects Designer (Seasonal).
Here’s the full job posting on the DisneyCareers website for the Fireworks & Special Effects Designer:
Job ID 788225BR Location Lake Buena Vista, Florida, United States Business Parks, Experiences and Products Date posted May 06, 2021
- Oversees ordering of pyrotechnic and special effect equipment and product
- Provides updates to Show Directors, Producers, and Production Managers about confetti, pyrotechnics and other special effect development and availability
- Interfaces with governmental agencies in approving/permitting effects uses by WDW
- Supervises effects crews for special events, road shows, and permanent installations
- Provides ongoing Entertainment Show Quality evaluations of existing shows
- Manages and provide proper documentation of all live show effects plots at WDW
- Develops and realizes the design intent through the effective execution of the creative process
- Participate in project’s creative development
- Develops and executes special effects/pyrotechnics designs for live shows and facility infrastructure as assigned
- Develops and/or provides input to project special effects budgets and labor requirements
- Stays current with special effects technology research and development efforts within industry
- Partners with Consultant Special Effects/Pyrotechnics Designers and vendors to ensure Disney quality, compatibility, training and proper documentation of all audio/video services delivered
- Functions as a resource to maintain the proper training of operating area special effects/pyrotechnics Technicians
- Conducts on-going “Entertainment Show Quality” evaluations of existing offerings at Walt Disney World and provide support to maintain their original show intent
- Maintains a strong relationship with fireworks compound, safety, purchasing, vendors and interface with governmental agencies in approving/permitting effects uses by Walt Disney World
- Maintains up-to-date show documentation and special effects R&D lab
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in the Entertainment Industry working in show development and operation of live shows
- Working knowledge of current technology and industry standards for all aspects of, special effects/pyrotechnics design, presentation styles, (theatrical, industrial, concert, touring, etc.) as applied to live show and facility systems
- Proven ability to support the creative process by collaborating with other Designers, Directors, Writers and Producers
- Proven leadership abilities to work closely with the special effects crew to prioritize, organize, instruct and problem-solve during installation, test & adjust and cueing throughout delivery of project
- Proven ability to deliver on a project’s established scope, schedule and budget
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to express creative ideas
- Ability to work flexible hours – nights, weekends, holidays – including occasional travel
- General computer skills including basic Microsoft Office products and industry specific software
- Demonstrated commitment to on-going personal education
- 2 years experience in live show development with The Walt Disney Company
- Working knowledge and understanding of the Walt Disney culture
- College degree or equivalent experience in theatre with focus on special effects/pyrotechnics design or equivalent experience
After looking over the job posting, a few things stick out:
The first is that the Fireworks & Special Effects Designer is a seasonal position. On a related note, Walt Disney World just announced the Disney After Hours Boo Bash events coming to the Magic Kingdom for the 2021 Halloween Season. The initial details for the event do not mention a fireworks show either way but lets hope this new job posting is a good sign!
The job summary also says that the person they are looking to hire for this position could develop “pyrotechnic and special effects designs for live shows across property, including Parks, Resorts, Special Events and DISNEY CRUISE LINE.” With the hopeful return to cruising coming in the near future, it is possible this job listing is looking for someone who to work on fireworks spectaculars at Walt Disney World as well as Disney Cruise Line.
With Walt Disney World’s 50th Anniversary Celebrations kicking off on October 1, 2021, many are wishing and hoping that fireworks will also return in time for this joyous occasion. At one time I thought a new fireworks show would debut for the anniversary celebrations at the Magic Kingdom but I will be just as happy for “Happily Ever After” to make its return!
Over at EPCOT, we are still patiently waiting for the premiere date of the all-new “Harmonious” fireworks show. Online buzz has indicated that the show will be up and running in time for Walt Disney World’s 50th Anniversary Celebrations on October 1, 2021.
Make sure to keep it here with MickeyBlog.com as you can count on us to be the first to let you know when our fireworks return to Disney!
Let’s start planning your Walt Disney World or Disney Cruise Line vacation! Fill out the form below or send an email to Holly@MickeyTravels.com for a FREE, no-obligation quote to book your Disney vacation. EVERY vacation package* booked EXCLUSIVELY with me by May 15, 2021 will receive a Disney Gift Card as a thank you with your final travel documents. In addition, one lucky client will receive a FREE MemoryMaker ($169 value). As an agent with MickeyTravels (a Platinum Earmarked Agency), I will be on hand to help you with everything from finding your perfect package and I offer rate monitoring to ensure you are receiving the best rate available by Disney!. I work with all Disney Destinations and destinations outside of Disney. Best of all, my services are absolutely FREE. Get in touch via email at Holly@MickeyTravels.com or calling 954.401.9577. Also, make sure to CLICK HERE to follow along with my Facebook page for all things Disney and giveaways!
*Vacation package must be a minimum of 3 nights with 3-day tickets
Image/Source Credit: Disney