RECIPE: Boneless Impossible™ Korean Short Ribs
We’ve got a VERY special treat for all you vegetarians! As you know the EPCOT International Flower & Garden Festival is currently taking place at Walt Disney World where it will run until July 5th. A highlight of each year’s festival is the opportunity to sample new eats and treats at the Outdoor Marketplaces around the World Showcase.
One question we get asked quite a lot is “What is there to eat at Flower & Garden” if you’re a vegetarian?” The answer is plenty! With an emphasis on all things that grow in the garden, you can find a really nice array of goodies. As a matter of fact, one of our writers Maria wrote a piece about it which we’ll link to below:
In addition to awesome festival eats, Disney is also working hard to bring more plant-based dishes to the parks. With this in mind, Disney has begun collaborating with Impossible! This partnership means that not only will you find delicious Impossible dishes (including burgers) at places like Restaurantosarus in Animal Kingdom but also in on the West Coast at Disneyland, which is slated to open on Friday!
According to a recent piece by Disney Parks Blog, you can currently find Impossible products at over 20 Disney dining locations and in the future the product will be on the menu at the Disney California Food & Wine Festival and during the runDisney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend.
If all this talk of Impossible has made you hungry then you’re in luck. With a little help from Festival Chef, Karen McClintock, Disney has whipped up a recipe that is sure to delight. So grab your aprons, roll up those sleeves and let’s get cooking
The Boneless Impossible™ Korean Short Rib with Cilantro-Lime Rice, Danmuji Slaw, and Kimchee Mayonnaise. (Serves 6)
Here’s all the INGREDIENTS You’ll need to get started!
IMPOSSIBLE SHORT RIBS
- 1 pound Impossible™ Burger
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 tablespoon gochujang paste
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chickpea flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
KOREAN BBQ SAUCE
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ginger paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sambal olek
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, halved
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 pound daikon radish, julienne
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and julienne
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
- Coarse salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon kimchee base
- 1/2 cup plant-based mayonnaise
- 3 baby bok choy
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
Follow these steps to recreate the magic of this Flower & Garden Festival dish!
FOR IMPOSSIBLE SHORT RIBS:
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Line 9×5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Combine Impossible Burger, five spice, gochujang paste, garlic, chickpea flour, and salt in large bowl and stir until fully combined. Spoon into prepared loaf pan and pack tightly, making sure the top is smooth.
- Cover loaf pan tightly with foil. Fill 9×13-inch pan half way with water. Set loaf pan inside of water bath.
- Bake for 1 hour, until Impossible Burger reaches an internal temperature of 145°F. Remove loaf pan from water bath and cool at room temperature for 30 minutes. Once loaf pan is cool enough to handle, remove short ribs. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Remove from plastic wrap and slice into eighteen 1/2-inch thick rectangles.
FOR KOREAN BBQ SAUCE:
- Combine soy sauce, sesame oil, mirin, rice wine vinegar, ginger paste, garlic, sambal olek, brown sugar, and 2 cups of water in medium saucepan. Bring to simmer over medium-low heat.
- Continue simmering for 30 minutes.
- Combine remaining 2 tablespoons of water with cornstarch in small bowl. Slowly whisk into sauce and simmer until BBQ sauce is thick and sticky.
- Keep warm until ready to serve.
FOR DANMUJI SLAW:
- Combine water, rice wine vinegar, garlic cloves, bay leave, peppercorns, turmeric, coarse salt, and sugar in medium saucepan. Bring to boil over high heat.
- Remove from heat and rest for 30 minutes.
- Place daikon and carrot in medium glass bowl. Pour cooled brine over vegetables. Rest for 30 minutes before serving.
FOR CILANTRO-LIME RICE:
- Place rice and water in medium saucepan. Bring to rolling boil, uncovered, on medium-high heat. Reduce heat to simmer and cover with lid. Cook for 12 minutes, until water is absorbed by rice.
- Remove from heat and let rice stand for 10 minutes. Fluff with spatula or rice paddle.
- Add lime juice, zest, and chopped cilantro. Season with salt, to taste.
- Keep warm until ready to serve.
FOR KIMCHEE MAYO:
- Combine kimchee base and plant-based mayonnaise in small bowl.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Cut baby bok choy in half.
- Bring a large stockpot of water to boil. Season generously with salt and add bok choy. Cook for 2 minutes, until tender. Place in ice bath with slotted spoon. Set aside.
- Heat oil large sauté pan over medium heat for 5 minutes, until hot. Add sliced short ribs and cook for 1-2 minutes per side, until crispy. Add BBQ sauce to fully coat ribs.
- Place 1 cup of cooked rice in each bowl. Top with 3 slices of short rib and glaze with additional BBQ sauce, if desired. Add large spoonful of slaw to each bowl. Place 1/2 head baby bok choy in each bowl. Drizzle with kimchee mayo and top with black sesame seeds.
We hope that the recipe above inspires you to create some truly awesome vegetarian dishes! Keep following along with us here at MickeyBlog where we share NEW Disney-focused recipes, food reviews and more each and every week! And if all this talk of Flower & Garden Festival has piqued your interest, here’s a look at some of the additional fun you could have during your EPCOT visit!
Get a Jumpstart On Your Travel Plans And Get A FREE Disney Gift Card!
Have you heard the news!? Walt Disney World vacation packages are currently available through June 2022! Book your 2022 stay with ME through May of 2021 and I’ll throw in a Disney Gift Card!* Plus 1 lucky family will be picked each month to receive a special in-room delivery from Disney Floral & Gifts! Simply fill out my form below to get your FREE, no obligation quote!
With new policies and procedures in place for next year, there’s never been a better time to work with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner who can help you navigate through Disney World’s new way of doing things! Just fill out my form HERE to get your FREE, no-obligation quote. Alternatively, feel free to reach out at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow along on Facebook