Make These Adorable Jack Skellington Cookies at Home!
“What’s this? What’s this?” Oh, just a recipe for some adorable sugar cookies inspired by the Pumpkin King himself, Jack Skellington!
The sugar cookie recipe used to bring the Jack Skellington cookies to life is actually from Tony’s Town Square in the Magic Kingdom. And, then you can decorate the cookies with the face of the iconic “Nightmare Before Christmas” movie.
However, if you have your hands full like I do, here’s a little trick for this treat: Use slice-and-bake cookie dough instead of making the Jack Skellington cookies from scratch!
Jack Skellington Sugar Cookies
Makes 18 cookies
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 egg whites
3 cups confectioner’s sugar
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Black food coloring paste
Directions for Cookies:
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and whisk until combined. Set aside.
- Combine butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Add flour mixture in three parts. Once dough comes together, cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Using a round cookie cutter or an overturned cup, cut dough into circles about 3 1/4 inches in diameter. Place cookies 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely before icing.
Directions for icing:
- Place egg whites in bowl of an electric mixer; whisk until frothy. Add confectioners’ sugar a little at a time, until thick but still spreadable.
- Place 1/3 of icing in a separate bowl. Add black food coloring paste to reserved icing and stir until color is uniform.
- Decorate cooled cookies by covering with white icing and letting it dry (placing cookies in the refrigerator will speed up this process).
- Place black icing in a pastry bag or a plastic resealable bag and cut off a tiny bit of the corner to create a very small hole. Use black icing to draw eyes, nostrils and stitched mouth on each cookie.
Once you finish making your batch of Jack Skellington, make sure to share your photos with us!
Planning a vacation to a Disney Destination? There are some SPECTACULAR discounts available for the remainder of 2020. Fill out the form below or send an email to Holly@MickeyTravels.com for a FREE, no-obligation quote to book your Disney vacation. EVERY vacation package* booked exclusively with me by a teacher or someone on the front lines battling the virus, will receive a Disney Gift Card when you book your Disney vacation package* with me by December 31, 2020. As an agent with MickeyTravels (a Platinum Earmarked Agency), I will be on hand to help you with everything from finding your perfect package and I offer rate monitoring to ensure you are receiving the best rate available by Disney. I work with all Disney Destinations and destinations outside of Disney. Best of all, my services are absolutely FREE. Get in touch via email at Holly@MickeyTravels.com or calling 954.401.9577. Also, make sure to CLICK HERE to follow along with my Facebook page for all things Disney and giveaways!
*Vacation package must be a minimum of 3 nights with 3-day tickets
Image/Source Credit: Disney