Celebrate Memorial Day With Whispering Canyon Cafe’s Apple Pie Recipe
There’s no better way to celebrate this first American holiday of Summer than with a BBQ and a nice delicious slice of Apple Pie for dessert! Earlier this week, we shared with you our favorite BBQ sauce recipe directly from Flame Tree BBQ in the Animal Kingdom and today we’re sharing with you one of our favorite sweet treats!
Coming to you directly from the kitchen at Whispering Canyon located in the magnificent rustic setting of Wilderness Lodge, this treat has been perfect way for guests to finish up their rootin’ tootin meal for over 25 years!
Now you can dazzle your family by serving it up during your backyard BBQ this weekend.
Apple Pie from Whispering Canyon Cafe
Makes one 9-inch pie
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup water
- 6 granny smith apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice
APPLE PIE BATTER
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 egg
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
FOR PIE CRUST:
- Combine butter, shortening, flour, sugar, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix at medium speed until crumbly.
- Add milk and mix until incorporated.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Roll to 1/4-inch thickness and place in 9-inch pie plate.
- Set aside.
- Bring water to simmer in a large pot.
- Place apples in a steamer basket and add to pot. Steam for 10 minutes. Remove from water.
- Cool to room temperature and toss with apple pie spice.
FOR APPLE PIE BATTER:
- Cream butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment until fluffy. Add eggs and mix until just incorporated.
- Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. Slowly add to mixer and beat on medium speed until combined.
- Add cream and mix until smooth.
- Set aside until ready to bake.
FOR APPLE PIE:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place 1/2 cup apple pie batter on top of pie crust, spread until smooth. Top with apples and remaining apple pie batter.
- Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake 20 more minutes, until golden brown.
- Cool to room temperature before serving.
Readers are encouraged to keep following along with MickeyBlog for the latest Disney-related news, updates and more!
Thinking about a Disney getaway in 2020 or 2021? Getting started is easy! Simply fill out our form below to get your FREE, no-obligation quote from MickeyTravels!
Find articles like this helpful? Then why not consider working with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner? As an agent with MickeyTravels, I’ll be on hand to assist you with everything from finding your perfect package to helping you plan lots of special touches to make your visit truly magical. Best of all my services are absolutely FREE. Get in touch at 1.800.801.4025 via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow along on Facebook