Some fANTastic Facts About Pixar’s A Bug’s Life
If we had to pick one of our favorite “underrated” Pixar films it would be A Bug’s Life. As a matter of fact, every time we sit in the audience of It’s Tough To Be a Bug at the Animal Kingdom we’re reminded just how much we love the film.!
During our time at home, we think this is a great film to revisit on Disney+. Not only does it give you a bug’s eye view of the world but it can also teach you a thing or two.
And prior to your A Bug’s Life family movie night, you can impress your family by brushing up on these awesome fun facts.
- It’s a BIG life! – This film was a massive undertaking for Pixar and required a server 7 times as large as the one used for Toy Story. But that’s not all! The production also required 23 additional animators, 60 more shots, 270 more models and shaders and 1,055 more feet (as in the feet of these tiny little creatures) thanToy Story.
Developing characters inspired by the unique colors and intricate shapes of the insect world not only allowed the filmmakers to flex their creative antennae but took the computer animation technology to another level. Here’s a look at just how intricate the design for the film actually was.
- Gypsy’s moth ruff includes 15,000 individual hairs.
- Incredibly, all of the flies wings beat 129.6 times per second.
How’s that for details!?
Speaking of details:
- Each character is made up of MANY texture layers to help them come to life. The grasshoppers in the film for instance required around 100 texture files each.
- A Bug’s Life also boasts a lot of crowd scenes (400 to be exact). These shots require 25-1,000 ants per shot. Pixar made these scenes for life-like by animating EACH INDIVIDUAL ANT!
- When it came to creating an anthill for all of these teeny-tiny creatures, the art team painted over 300 pieces of concept art to help bring Ant Island to life as well as Bug City and Hopper’s Hideout.
- Also, Pixar drew its inspiration for the storyline from one of Aesop’s fables. The tale is called “The Ant and the Grasshopper.” The story was expanded of course but a fun school at home activity might be to check out the original!
- The stunning image you see above are an example of the incredible pastel drawings and color scripts that were created for EVERY scene in the
Last, but not least, the editorial team at picture was involved in the film from start to finish. During that time they received over 50,000 deliveries, handled 40,000 of film, tracked over a million elements in post-production software and more! Talk about an undertaking.
To say A Bug’s Life was a massive labour of love for Pixar would be an understatement. Now it’s your turn to fall in love with the film all over again by checking it out on Disney+ today.
Thinking about a visit to Disney World? Getting started is easy! Simply fill out our form below to get your FREE, no-obligation quote from MickeyTravels
Find articles like this helpful? Then why not consider working with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner? As an agent with MickeyTravels, I’ll be on hand to assist you with everything from finding your perfect package to helping you plan lots of special touches to make your visit truly magical. Best of all my services are absolutely FREE. Get in touch at 1.800.801.4025 via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow along on Facebook
Source: Oh My Disney