Recreate The Magic of Blue Bayou’s Monte Cristo Sandwich at Home
Few dishes conjure up the taste and smell of Disneyland theme park quite like the iconic Monte Cristo sandwich which has been impressing diners for decades at the Blue Bayou Restaurant in New Orleans Square! Now you can recreate that magic from your own kitchens thanks to this awesome recipe that recently shared by Disney.
So add the items below to your grocery list and set aside a bit of family time this weekend for a treat that is sure to have you reminiscing about your Disney vacations!
The recipe below was actually available on the original Blue Bayou menu dating back to 1967 where it came served with a fresh fruit compote with toasted coconut. Guests can still enjoy this delicious treat to this day and Disneyland boasts that they serve upwards of 200 of these daily!
Below you can see the ‘original’ recipe card that was created for guests who enquired about this delicious dish.
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons water
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 8 slices egg bread (challah works well), sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 8 thin slices ham
- 8 thin slices turkey
- 8 thin slices Swiss cheese
- 3 cups canola oil
- Confectioners sugar
- Blackberry preserves
- Line a cookie sheet with paper towels; set aside.
- Whisk the egg and water together in a mixing bowl.
- Add flour, salt, and baking powder and whisk thoroughly for 2 to 3 minutes or until smooth, scraping sides of bowl.
- On one slice of bread, arrange 2 slices of ham, turkey, and cheese, covering the bread evenly.
- Place another slice of bread on top and slice each sandwich in half diagonally.
- Heat oil to between 365 degrees F and 375 degrees F in a 10-inch pan. Do not let the oil reach a higher temperature than this; if the oil starts to smoke, turn the heat down.
- Dip half of the sandwich into the batter, allowing excess to drain, and very carefully place into the oil.
- Repeat with the other sandwich half.
- Cook 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Place the cooked sandwich on the prepared cookie sheet in a warm oven until ready to serve.
- Repeat with the other three sandwiches.
Cook one at a time, and allow the oil to reach the desired temperature between each. Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar and serve with blackberry preserves on the side.
And for those that now have a craving for the original Monte Cristo as served at New Orleans Square then start planning your Disneyland getaway and make your dining reservation at 714.781.DINE!
Thinking about a Disneyland getaway? Getting started is easy. Simply fill out our form below to get your FREE, no-obligation quote from MickeyTravels!
Find articles like this helpful? Then why not consider working with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner? As an agent with MickeyTravels, I’ll be on hand to assist you with everything from finding your perfect package to helping you plan lots of special touches to make your visit truly magical. Best of all my services are absolutely FREE. Get in touch at 1.800.801.4025 via email at email@example.com or follow along on Facebook