Hong Kong Disneyland Lends Vacant Sites To Chinese Government
60-hectares to be used for Coronavirus quarantine facilities
The Coronavirus has been a top story in the news — Disney or otherwise — for several weeks.
But today we learned that The Walt Disney Company lent some space to the Chinese government to help return residents stranded near Wuhan.
Olga Wong and Alvin Lum of the South China Morning Post reported:
Hong Kong Disneyland has agreed to lend vacant sites to the government to build coronavirus quarantine facilities, although there was no immediate plan to bring residents stranded in Wuhan back before more units were built, officials said on Friday, confirming an earlier report by the Post.
“We have secured the company’s consent to use part of the site if it is needed,” Commerce and Economic Development Bureau chief Edward Yau Tang-wah said, referring to a 60-hectare plot reserved for the theme park’s expansion on Lantau Island.
No Stone Left Unturned
According to the article, the open space could yield 600 housing units to aid in the return of those Hong Kong residents stranded in Wuhan.
“We need all quarantine facilities for surveillance, basically we will leave no stone unturned [when identifying sites for building quarantine facilities],” Mr. Yau explained at a government press conference attended by SCMP.com.
Earlier this month, MickeyBlog.com reported:
Shanghai Disney and Hong Kong Disneyland Could Close Up to Two Months for Coronavirus, Experience Massive Losses
As we have reported, both Shanghai Disney in China and Hong Kong Disneyland have closed their doors due to the spreading Coronavirus. Today, during Disney’s earnings call, it was announced that both Resorts could be closed up to two months and suffer operating income to decline over $175 million in Q1 2020. Read More…
And of course, MickeyBlog.com will keep our readers up-to-date with news from the Parks in Shanghai and Hong Kong.