Why Are Disney’s Souvenir Popcorn Buckets Becoming The New Must-Have Souvenir?
During my many years as a Disney Blogger, I’ve seen Disney fads come and go from Rose Gold everything to Spirit Jersey’s and Tiki Mugs. However, if there’s one souvenir that seems to have withstood the test of time and becomes more popular every year- its Disney’s Souvenir popcorn buckets.
Just today, I wrote up an article on the adorable Simba-themed popcorn containers that made their debut at Animal Kingdom to much fanfare! So why have popcorn containers become the new “must-have” Disney souvenir, so much so that people will line up for an hour to get one? That is exactly the question posited this morning by ClickOrlando.com.
Popcorn has always been one of the theme parks most iconic treats! This snack is perfect for munching as you meander from one side of the park to the other or while waiting for the parade or fireworks. Disney regulars have typically taken advantage of the added value of Disney’s souvenir containers. By doling out slightly more on this functional souvenir you can save on refills!
However, over the past few years, things have changed. These days souvenir popcorn containers are popping up all over the Disney theme parks. They now even come with straps so that you can sling them over your shoulder as you stroll. Recent incarnations include everything from the Aliens in Toy Story to the AT-AT Walkers from Star Wars and everything in between. But be forewarned, getting your hand on one of these beauties is like winning the Disney lottery or getting a spot on Jedi Training Academy! Sought after editions sell out in days and crop up on eBay for high prices! I’ve seen them go for $50+!
So can you bring them back with you and next time you visit the Happiest Place on Earth? Disney does say the popcorn buckets can be reused but only during your length of stay. The regulation of this seems to be subjective and depends on the Cast Member serving you. Most vendors will offer refills until the design is swapped out at which point your container needs to be retired.
For those with a lengthy stay, it can be a practical souvenir and can actually save you money. Most souvenir popcorn buckets retail in the $10 – $20 range. You can then have them refilled during your stay for only $2 a refill rather than paying the standard $5.00. If popcorn is you go-to Disney treat, it’s worth the investment. Though to be honest, most people by them purely to display on shelves, add to their Disney collection or (sometimes) sell at a profit.
Here are some Disney popcorn facts that you may not have known.
- Different flavors of popcorn are available at Epcot. Head to the Journey Into Imagination With Figment. Just outside there’s a cart where you can choose from three different flavors: Cheddar Cheese, Buffalo Bleu Cheese and Sour Cream and Chive. Can’t decide which flavor to choose? Ask them to give you a taste of all three!
- Did you know the popcorn served in Disney Parks is Pop Secret? Yup! The same product you can buy from your local supermarket. In September 2015, Pop Secret became the official popcorn of both Disney World and Disneyland.
- Popcorn is a snack credit on the Disney Dining Plan. So is a refill.
So where can you find this go-to treat!? Here is a list of locations at Walt Disney World:
- Main Street Popcorn Cart – Near Guest Relations as soon as you walk into the park.
- Castle Plaza Popcorn Cart – On the Tomorrowland side of the hub at the end of Main Street
- Fantasyland Maurice’s Amazing Popping Machine – Between Gaston’s Tavern and Ariel’s Undersea Adventure
- Fantasyland Storybook Circus Popcorn Cart – Near Dumbo the Flying Elephant
- Liberty Square Popcorn Cart – Near Liberty Tree Tavern
- Frontierland – Next to Westward Ho Refreshments
- Frontierland – Outside Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
- Tomorrowland Popcorn Cart
- Adventureland Snack Cart- Between Pirates of the Caribbean and Jungle Cruise
- Future World West Popcorn – Across from Imagination Pavilion
- Future World East Popcorn – Near Test Track
- Canada Pavilion – Ask for the Maple popcorn here!
- Fife and Drum Tavern – America Pavilion
- Future World Popcorn Cart – Near pin trading station
Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- Hot and Fresh Popcorn – Just past Starbucks
- Animation Courtyard Popcorn Cart
- Hub Popcorn Cart – near Hyperion Theater
- Hollywood Hills Amphitheater – Fantasmic!
Disney’s Animal Kingdom
- Mahindi Snack Cart- In Harambe Markeplace
- Corn-Ivore – DinoLand
- The Feeding Ground – Discovery Island
- Thirsty River Bar and Trek Snacks- Outside the entrance to Expedition Everest
Readers are encouraged to keep following along with MickeyBlog for the latest Walt Disney World news and updates!
Thinking about a visit to Disney? Getting started is easy! Simply fill out our form below to get your FREE, no-obligation quote from MickeyTravels! Book before January 31st and I’ll even throw in a FREE Disney Gift Card.
Find articles like this helpful? Then why not consider working with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner? As an agent with MickeyTravels, I’ll be on hand to assist you with everything from finding your perfect package to helping you plan lots of special touches to make your visit truly magical. Best of all my services are absolutely FREE. Get in touch at 1.800.801.4025 via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow along on Facebook