Get Prepped For Christmas at Disney World With These Holiday Fun Facts
If you’re planning a Walt Disney World getaway this holiday season you are in for a special treat! Magical holiday traditions await Disney World guests during the most wonderful time of the year!
To put you in the Yuletide spirit check out some of our favorite Walt Disney World fun facts:
Walt Disney World Resort
- Disney World’s Holiday Services team provides décor for 780 locations within 41 different properties, including Disney theme parks, resorts, Disney Springs and recreation and shopping areas. The team also decorates Disney Cruise Line ships and Disney Vacation Club resorts in Florida and South Carolina.
- 41 cast members work year-round to make the holiday transformation a reality, with an additional 119 cast members added during the installation period.
- Décor installation begins Halloween night and is finished by Thanksgiving.
Magic Kingdom Park
- During the holiday season, Magic Kingdom is home to 40 trees, 147 wreaths and 590 garlands that measure a total of 5,188 feet.
- Disney’s special ticketed event – Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party on 23 select nights from Nov. 8 to Dec. 22. This year’s celebration welcomes includes the dazzling new nighttime spectacular, “Minnie’s Wonderful Christmastime Fireworks.”
- Tomorrowland Speedway joins in the merriment of Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party for the first time this year with a new holiday overlay that glimmers with thousands of lights and stylized décor. It’s one of 4 Magic Kingdom attractions to feature holiday overlays. The others are Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean and Space Mountain!
Disney’s Animal Kingdom
- This year Disney’s Animal Kingdom will celebrate the holidays in full for the first time in its history, with enchanting entertainment and décor in 3 new locations.
- 148 animal-inspired luminaries will cast a warm and festive glow throughout Discovery Island while a merry menagerie of 10 artisan-sculpted puppets resembling winter animals roam and interact with guests throughout the land.
- 2,600 light bulbs will adorn the DinoLand U.S.A. water tower, giving the land a festive new look for the holidays.
Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- Be sure to check out the Christmas tree on Echo Lake is 65 feet tall, with a 25-foot-wide base.
- Sunset Seasons Greetings at Disney’s Hollywood Studios includes 12 high-definition projectors used to visually transform the façade of the Hollywood Tower Hotel with holiday scenes.
- 21 palm trees along Sunset Boulevard illuminate with programmable, color-changing LED fixtures.
- Dinosaur Gertie is also dressed in her finest holiday attire. Her hat is so big, four people could stand inside it!
- Epcot International Festival of the Holidays takes place Nov. 29 through Dec. 30 and celebrates holiday traditions from around the world through storytelling and music presented throughout World Showcase.
- Holiday treats are also part of the festival, which includes 13 Holiday Kitchens serving more than 50 bites from around the world and 60-plus specialities.
- The Candlelight Processional will be performed 96 times at Epcot this holiday season with a 50-piece orchestra, mass choir and 12 different celebrity narrators.
- The Candlelight Processional stage at America Gardens Theatre features 2 Christmas trees that are each 18 feet tall.
- Lookout for the life-size holiday gingerbread house in the lobby of Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa. This elaborate 10-foot-wide,15-foot-long and 14-foot-tall structure is covered with more than 10,000 pieces of gingerbread and is the perfect place to pick up holiday sweets and treats.
- Disney’s Contemporary Resort is celebrating the 10th anniversary of its iconic gingerbread Cinderella Castle. This 18-foot-tall display is crafted from more than 5,000 gingerbread shingles, 47 pounds of rolled fondant, 38 pounds of modelling chocolate and much more!
- Disney’s Contemporary Resort is also home to the tallest Christmas tree at Walt Disney World. This 70-foot-tall tree is adorned with 16,000 lights and more than 200 custom ornaments.
- This year also marks the 20th anniversary of the Holiday Carousel gingerbread display at Disney’s Beach Club Resort. This life-size spinning carousel features 20 “Hidden Mickeys,” 5 Peter Pan-themed horses and handcrafted gingerbread shingles.
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge is home to a 45-foot-tall tree featuring authentic African décor and reproductions of traditional African masks.
- Disney Springs is the epicenter of holiday shopping at Walt Disney World. It’s also the largest of all of the decorated Disney locations, with more than 2,000 pieces of individual décor, including a 45-foot-tall tree.
- Each piece of décor was custom-designed to fit the classic Florida town theme that carries throughout the entirety of Disney Springs.
- Disney Springs is also home to the Christmas Tree Trail, a walkthrough wonderland featuring 23 unique Disney-themed trees.
Thinking about a destination Christmas to Walt Disney World Resort? There are still plenty of great deals to be had! Simply fill out our form below to get your FREE, no-obligation quote from MickeyTravels!
Find articles like this helpful? Then why not consider working with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner? As an agent with MickeyTravels, I’ll be on hand to assist you with everything from finding your perfect package to helping you plan lots of special touches to make your visit truly magical. Best of all my services are absolutely FREE. Get in touch at 1.800.801.4025 via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow along on Facebook