Frozen 2: Will The Sequel Substantiate A Popular Fan Theory?
Possible spoilers ahead [?]. From the get-go, let me say this – as a rule, I don’t follow fan theories.
And I don’t worry about too much about headcanon; besides my own, which I keep to myself.
However, every now and then a fan premise piques my interest. And this “is Ana and Elsa related to Tarzan” thing is one of those theories. It definitely left me wondering what exactly is in store for our heroes in Frozen 2.
Is Tarzan Related to Ana & Elsa?
Recently, Showbiz Cheatsheet and ComicBook.com broke it all down:
ComicBook.com posted, “The Tarzan fan-theory is very simple.”
- In Frozen, Elsa and Anna’s parents travel on a ship to an important meeting that some suggest is actually the wedding of Rapunzel and Eugene Fitzherbert (Flynn Rider) from Tangled.
- Along the way, their ship is caught in a storm and capsizes. That’s suspiciously similar to the beginning Disney’s Tarzan: A ship is caught in a storm and destroyed, with a married couple as its sole survivors.
- They live in a tree house constructed from the ship’s wreckage in Africa, where they give birth to a son (Tarzan) before they’re killed by the leopard Sabor.
Cheatsheet Added: “A couple of years ago, Frozen’s co-director, Chris Buck, said to MTV he supposedly imagined this shared universe theory when Frozen was in development…”
- [And] numerous intriguing clues have turned up in the Frozen 2 trailer, making fans go crazy at what kind of revelation the film might drop.
- Everything from a rock troll giving warnings about the past to a mythical underwater horse called Nokk all vaguely connect to the events leading up to Tarzan’s existence.
Insert Eyeroll GIF Here…
So, I’ve heard this elsewhere, as well. And I want to dismiss it altogether. However, this particular theory felt like it was “less wrong” than many others.
Meanwhile, there have even been tweets that hint/jest at the whole situation:
Frozen shared universe? ? pic.twitter.com/lIfiAPXqPs
— Josh Gad (@joshgad) June 12, 2019
— billboard (@billboard) June 14, 2019
Anyway, I am at least intrigued.
However, I always keep in mind — just as I did when Rey’s parentage in Star Wars was discussed after Episode VII — the creatives on these movies generally have something mind-blowing in store (which generally don’t match anyone’s headcanon or fan theory).
But what do you think? Is Frozen linked to Tarzan (etc)?