Spoilerific Story Beats For Frozen 2!
Beware: There are Frozen 2 spoilers ahead. The news broke out of Annecy, France, where Disney Animation Studios — participating in the Annecy International Animation Festival — dropped some inside info on the story of Frozen 2.
Frozen 2 Spoilers Out of France
Jamie Lang, of Variety (via Yahoo! Entertainment), set the stage (so, seriously, spoilers for Frozen 2 are ahead; turn away if averse):
Disney Animation Studios, a long-time friend and collaborator of the Annecy Intl. Animation Festival returned to the French town on Friday with three new shorts from its experimental animated shorts program Short Circuit, destined for Disney+, before providing an inside look at upcoming “Frozen 2.”
Becky Bresee — who was spectacular in the “Making of Frozen” documentary shown on ABC — was front and center, and “explained that the film kicks off, as did the first when Elsa and Ana are still young girls.”
More Details from Annecy
The details continued:
- Their father regaled the girls with a lavish bedtime story from his youth when the young prince himself visited an enchanted elemental forest before something went horribly wrong and he was quickly brought back to Arendelle.
- Since then, there has been a disconnect between the people of the town and the elements: Air, fire, water, and earth.
- In the first scene screened on Friday morning, Elsa, Ana, Olaf, Hans, and Sven are engaged in a less-than-fair game of charades.
- Ana starts, and successfully playacts the word villain, quickly guessed by the other players.
- When Olaf heads to the front he declares the next round as boys vs. girls before adeptly transforming himself into a series of instantly recognizable forms, each guessed almost immediately by Hans and prompting Ana to accuse the two of cheating.
A Haunting Voice
- When it’s Elsa’s turn to mime, she is distracted by a haunting voice that only she can hear, and excuses herself to her room to be alone.
- The scene ended there, but West and Bresee explained that Ana then checks in on Elsa, and the two fall asleep watching the northern lights before Elsa is awoken by the mysterious voice.
- In a scene featured in the already-released trailer, Elsa heads outside and casts spells like she’s never done before, causing countless ice crystals covered in runes to be suspended in the sky over Arendelle.
- The second scene was a longer cut of the one, which starts the trailer. In it, Elsa runs headlong into dark and ominous water and massive crashing waves.
- The clip showed an intense and graphically-satisfying magical battle between Elsa and a horse-shaped water spirit on the spirit’s home turf.
There are also plenty of details from Disney’s “Short Circuit “program in the piece, which may be read on Yahoo! Check it out…
And then tell us: What do you think of the Frozen 2 trailers, thus far? Do you think the new film can live up to the original? Let us know in the comments.