Check Out the Fun That Awaits Guests of All Ages at Disneyland Resort
On July 17 1955 Walt Disney’s vision of creating a place where adults, children, families and friends could have fun together was fully realized with the opening of Disneyland theme park. Over the last 6 decades, Disneyland Resort has grown to encompass over 500 acres and features two theme parks, three beautiful hotels and exciting retail, dining and entertainment options at Downtown Disney.
For those looking for the ultimate family getaway in 2019, we here at MickeyBlog can’t think of a better place than Disneyland, located just 25 miles south of Los Angeles. To give you a sense of why Disneyland Resort is one of the top-rated family destinations in the country we thought we’d give you a quick rundown of some of the highlights.
Known as “The Happiest Place on Earth, ” Disneyland is Walt Disney’s original theme park and covers 85 acres and encompasses eight themed lands including Main Street U.S.A, Adventureland, Frontierland, New Orleans Square, Critter Country, Fantasyland, Mickey’s Toontown and Tomorrowland.
Attractions at Disneyland
This theme park features more than 60 adventures and attractions and boasts some of the most quintessential Disney theme park attractions in the world including much-loved classics like:
- Pirates of the Caribbean
- Haunted Mansion
- Jungle Cruise
- Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room
- “it’s a small world”
- Matterhorn Bobsleds
- Indiana Jones Adventure
In 2006, Pirates of the Caribbean added characters from the much-loved films of the same name to its storyline including Captain Jack Sparrow. In 2007, Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage premiered in Tomorrowland taking guests on an undersea adventure with Nemo and friends.
In 2013, Disney Princesses became a big draw at Fantasy Faire where there are on hand to sign autographs and pose for photos. Visitors also won’t want to miss “Mickey and the Magical Map” a stage show starring Mickey and many other much-loved characters performed daily at the Fantasyland Theatre. And let’s not forget Star Tours- The Adventure Continues which now features six new destinations and over 50 combinations including scenes inspired by “Star Wars: The Last Jedi.”
Special Holiday Attractions
For those lucky enough to be planning a Halloween or Christmas visit you are in for a special treat. Guests will get to enjoy seasonal events and popular shows that include Haunted Mansion Holiday, Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy and “it’s a small world” Holiday. During the Christmas Season, they also make it snow on Main Street U.S.A and “A Christmas Fantasy” Parade is brimming with holiday delights.
Disney California Adventure
Located across from Disneyland theme park, Disney California Adventure invites guests to enjoy the wonder and beauty of California with themed lands that include: Pixar Pier, Hollywood Land, Pacific Wharf, Grizzly Peak, Paradise Gardens, Buena Vista Street and Cars Land. Let’s check out some of the highlights:
Celebrating beloved Pixar stories and characters this playful new land which opened in 2018 features exciting theme park rides and attractions including:
- Incredicoaster – Inspired by the films “The Incredibles and “Incredibles 2”
- Pixar Pal-A-Round – A colorful Ferris wheel with a few extra thrills and a big dose of Disney magic.
- Toy Story Mania!- Compete with friends and family to see who can get the top score in this fun carnival game ride.
- Games of Pixar Pier – Families will love these Pixar-themed carnival games where you may even be able to nab a prize or two.
- The Pixarmonic Orchestra- Tap your toes along to some of your favorite Pixar songs during this delightful show.
In 2019, Pixar Pier will also welcome two new attractions: Inside Out Emotional Whirlwind and Jessie’s Critter Carousel.
Opened in 2012, this land themed after the much-loved Cars films has been wowing Disneyland visitors with its vast Radiator Springs landscape. Cars Land features a handful of fun rides including:
- Radiator Springs Racers- A thrilling highway competition
- Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree- A family-friendly ride featuring swinging and dancing tractors.
- Luigi’s Rollicking Roadsters – Hop behind the wheel of a miniature Italian roadster on a spinning trackless “dance floor.”
Visitors to Cars Land can refuel at the Cozy Cone Motel which serves up tasty “cone-coctions” or Flo’s V8 Cafe where you can tuck in to one of the house-made pies.
Other Incredible California Adventure Attractions
In addition to Pixar Pier and Cars Land, Disney California Adventure is positively brimming with a wide range of incredible attractions for visitors of all ages. Additional Highlights include:
- Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! –This epic adventure combines a breathtaking free-fall sensation with all-new visual and audio effects, including music inspired by the popular “Guardians of the Galaxy” film soundtrack.
- “World of Color”- This nighttime water spectacular will be back in 2019 to dazzle guests with its special effects, pyrotechnics, colorful lights and beautiful storyline.
- The Little Mermaid – Ariel’s Undersea Adventure – Journey under the sea in this retelling of “The Little Mermaid.”
- Soarin’ Around the World – A breathtaking virtual hang-gliding tour over some of the worlds most impressive landmarks.
- Grizzly River Run – An icy-cold, white-knuckle rafting adventure.
- “Frozen – Live at the Hyperion”- A spectacular stage production that immerses guest in the world of Arendelle.
- Turtle Talk with Crush – Interactive magic with one of the much-loved characters from “Finding Nemo.”
- “Anna & Elsa’s Royal Welcome” – A chance to meet the Queen and Princess of Arendelle.
- Spider-Man and Captain America Meet and Greets – Have those cameras and autograph books at the ready.
Bridging the two theme parks and three onsite Disneyland Hotels, Disneyland’s downtown shopping district is jam-packed with entertainment, dining and retail experiences you won’t get anywhere else. Options you’ll find at this 300,000 area of Disneyland Resort include:
- Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen
- Catal Restaurant & Uva Bar
- PANDORA Jewelery
- LEGO Imagination Center
- Ralph Breaks VR – A new virtual reality experience themed after “Wreck-It Ralph.”
- Splitsville Luxury Lanes – A family-friendly restaurant with 20 bowling lanes.
- Disney Home- Offering a variety of Disney-themed home goods.
- Ballast Point
- Black Tap Craft Burgers & Beer- Known for its award-winning burgers and signature CrazyShake™ milkshakes.
Guests can also board the Disneyland Monorail for a trip from Downtown Disney to Tomorrowland in Disneyland theme park.
Disneyland Resort Hotels
The Disneyland Resort is also home to three hotels each located just footsteps away from all of the fun and thrills listed above. Let’s take a quick look at each:
Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa
Designed in California’s renowned Arts and Crafts style this property is Disney hospitality at its best. In December of 2017, the property completed a refurbishment of all of the guest rooms, a refreshed lobby, pool area and concierge-level lounge.
The property boasts 948 guest rooms, 44 guest suites, and 50 two-bedroom villas. The hotel is also home to the award-winning Napa Rose restaurant featuring one of the finest collections of California wines anywhere in the World. Storyteller’s Cafe is the perfect eatery for families with and select meals even feature characters including Mickey Mouse. The resort also has three pools and the blissful Mandara Spa.
Over the past 50 years, the iconic Disneyland Hotel has been a haven for visitors looking for fun and warm hospitality. This award-winning hotel has 973 guest room and 72 suites. You’ll also find an array of wonderful dining options including Steakhouse 55, Goofy’s Kitchen, the Tangaroa Terrace, Tropical Bar and Grill and Trader Sam’s Enchanted Tiki Bar. The hotel underwent a major renovation in 2012 including new decor, a cleverly themed water play area, two swimming pools and a re-theming of the hotel’s three guest room towers.
Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel
You’ll love the breezy laidback beach style of Paradise Pier Hotel. Themed after a beach boardwalk hotel this property has spectacular views of Disney California Adventure and has 481 rooms including 25 suites. A dining highlight is PCH Grill which features Donald’s Seaside Breakfast a popular character meal for kids of all ages. The property also offers a scenic outdoor terrace and sparkling pool with bubbling spa.
The resort continues to grow and offer magical experiences for guests all the time.
An epic new land, Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, will open in summer 2019 and guests will find themselves in the middle of the action as they live their own Star Wars adventures. In the largest, most immersive single-themed land ever created in a Disney park, guests will become part of the story as they explore a remote planet full of new sights, sounds, smells, tastes and other experiences.
As if stepping into their own Star Wars adventure, guests will be part of the action as it unfolds around them. They may choose to aid a smuggler, join the Resistance or pledge their loyalty to the First Order. In this all-new environment, the decisions guests make and actions they take may have real-time consequences as they travel throughout the 14-acre land.
Didn’t make it to Disneyland in 2018? Now is the perfect time to start planning your 2019 getaway. Simply fill out our form below to receive your FREE no-obligation quote from MickeyTravels.
Find articles like this helpful? Then why not consider working with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner? As an agent with MickeyTravels, I’ll be on hand to assist you with everything from finding your perfect package to helping you plan lots of special touches to make your visit truly magical. Best of all my services are absolutely FREE. Get in touch at 1.800.801.4025 via email at email@example.com or follow along on Facebook