Mary Poppins Returns Soundtrack Available Today
Starting today the “Mary Poppins Returns” original motion picture soundtrack digital album and physical CD are available today. This is exciting news as we are just 12 days away from the movie appearing in theaters! The album also features all-new original songs by Tony Award® and GRAMMY® winning composer Marc Shaiman (“Hairspray,” “South Park”) and Tony winner and three-time Emmy® nominee co-lyricist Scott Wittman (“Hairspray,” “Smash”).
Directed by Oscar®-nominated, Emmy® and DGA Award-winning director Rob Marshall, the film stars: Emily Blunt as Mary Poppins; Lin-Manuel Miranda as Jack; Ben Whishaw as Michael Banks; Emily Mortimer as Jane Banks. It also includes Julie Walters as Ellen; Pixie Davies, Nathanael Saleh and Joel Dawson as the Banks children; with Colin Firth as William Weatherall Wilkins; and Meryl Streep as cousin Topsy. Furthermore, “Mary Poppins Returns” will be released in U.S. theaters on December 19, 2018.
Composing The Songs
The Sherman brothers had a profound impact on Shaiman’s career as both a composer and songwriter. “The movie and the soundtrack were everything to me as a child and taught me everything I know about film scoring,” he says. “The songs from ‘Mary Poppins’ are, in a word, perfect. The music and the lyrics are perfectly joined and have such a wonderful, sparkling yet emotional, feeling to them, so it’s quite a bar to even aspire to come close to.”
Because the script is an integral part of any musical, the duo was brought on board to write the music and lyrics when the script was being written, allowing the score to function dramatically from its inception. Shaiman and Wittman crafted nine original songs, each one with a soulful quality that helps advance the plot and enhance the characters. “We didn’t stray too far from the sounds of the first movie,” adds Shaiman. “We wanted it to feel like we were picking up where the last film ended.”
The new songs include: the film’s central ballad, “The Place Where Lost Things Go,” a lullaby performed by Mary Poppins; the boisterous dance hall number with Mary Poppins and Jack, “A Cover is Not the Book”; and also “Underneath the Lovely London Sky”. It also includes the opening musical number performed by Jack at some of the city’s most iconic landmarks; “Turning Turtle,” a spirited number performed by cousin Topsy and the Banks children; “The Conversation,” a bittersweet song performed by Michael in which he tries to come to terms with his grief; and the buoyant “Nowhere to Go But Up.”
Mary Poppins Returns track list:
- “(Underneath the) Lovely London Sky” – Performed by Lin-Manuel Miranda
- “Overture” – Performed by Marc Shaiman
- “A Conversation” – Performed by Ben Whishaw
- “Can You Imagine That?” – Performed by Emily Blunt with Pixie Davies, Joel Dawson and Nathanael Saleh
- “The Royal Doulton Music Hall” – Performed by Emily Blunt, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Pixie Davies, Joel Dawson and Nathanael Saleh
- “Introducing Mary Poppins” – Performed by Lin-Manuel Miranda and Emily Blunt
- “A Cover Is Not the Book” – Performed by Emily Blunt and Lin-Manuel Miranda and Company
- “The Place Where Lost Things Go” – Performed by Emily Blunt
- “Turning Turtle” – Performed by Meryl Streep with Emily Blunt, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Pixie Davies, Joel Dawson and Nathanael Saleh
- “Trip a Little Light Fantastic” – Performed by Lin-Manuel Miranda with Emily Blunt, Tarik Frimpong, Pixie Davies, Joel Dawson, Nathanael Saleh and Leeries
- “The Place Where Lost Things Go (Reprise)” – Performed by Joel Dawson, Nathanael Saleh and Pixie Davies
- “Trip a Little Light Fantastic (Reprise)” – Performed by Dick Van Dyke with Emily Blunt, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Ben Whishaw, Pixie Davies, Joel Dawson and Nathanael Saleh
Mary Poppins Returns track list continued:
- “Nowhere to Go But Up” – Performed by Angela Lansbury, Ben Whishaw, Pixie Davies, Joel Dawson, Nathanael Saleh, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Emily Mortimer, Julie Walters and Company
- “(Underneath the) Lovely London Sky (Reprise)” – Performed by Lin-Manuel Miranda
- “Theme from Mary Poppins Returns” – Performed by Marc Shaiman
- “Kite Takes Off” – Performed by Marc Shaiman
- “Mary Poppins Arrives” – Performed by Marc Shaiman
- “Magic Papers” – Performed by Marc Shaiman
- “Banks in the Bank” – Performed by Marc Shaiman
- “Into the Royal Doulton Bowl” – Performed by Marc Shaiman
- “Rescuing Georgie” – Performed by Marc Shaiman
- “Off to Topsy’s” – Performed by Marc Shaiman
- “Chase Through the Bank” – Performed by Marc Shaiman
- “Lost in a Fog” – Performed by Marc Shaiman
- “Goodbye Old Friend” – Performed by Marc Shaiman
- “Race to Big Ben” – Performed by Marc Shaiman
- “End Title Suite” – Performed by Marc Shaiman
SOURCE Walt Disney Records
Ready to experience Disney for yourself?
There are still fantastic 2018 and 2019 packages available. Fill out our form below for your FREE, no-obligation quote with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner with MickeyTravels!
Want more help planning your next Disney vacation? As an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner, my goal is to help you plan the Magic your way. I create customized itineraries, book advanced dining and FastPass+ reservations, monitor for discounts for your vacation, and much much more! Also, did I mention that my services are FREE? Get in touch toll-free at 1-800-454-4501, via email at email@example.com or you can also follow me on Facebook!