National Fast Food Day is November 16th!
I already know what you’re thinking: calorie-laden, previously-frozen flavorless grease bombs that come from drive thru windows. And you’re right, that is the American definition of ‘fast food’ that we’ve had no choice but to buy into the stigma. At the Disney Parks though, plenty of food options are served fast or, better yet, ‘quick’. Here at MickeyBlog though, National Fast Food Day takes on a very different meaning to us…
Quick service meals at Walt Disney World is their equivalent of ‘fast food’, but the difference is in the quality. I’ve been guilty of skipping past many a quick serve restaurant in favor of a table service meal, wrongly assuming that the quality from the walk-up options would pale in comparison. After much sampling and deliberating, I now stand a quick serve convert and am here to tell you the best places to go for a quick serve meal in honor of National Fast Food Day!
- Gaston’s Tavern (Magic Kingdom)- The only way this place could be classified as ‘fast food’ is by how quickly the gargantuan cinnamon rolls fly out the door! The quick serve tavern is a breakfast go-to if you’ve never been; warm, pillow-y dough hugs ribbons of cinnamon that have been baked to perfection. When they’re still warm, they’re topped with sweet and creamy frosting that melts into the crevices.
Tip: Ask for extra frosting! It’s free and makes the indulgence that much better…which I never thought possible!
- Captain Cook’s (Polynesian Village Resort)- Visit Captain Cooks for one reason and one reason only: tonga toast. It’s basically thick-sliced French toast that’s been stuffed with sweet banana filling, takes a dip in thick batter and is fried to golden deliciousness. Outside of a table service restaurant, this is the only quick serve location you can get the Disney-famous breakfast, so don’t miss your chance!
Lunch and Dinner
- The Polite Pig (Disney Springs)- As you descend the escalator from the garage, you’ll first be drawn to the beautiful new Disney Springs by the scent wafting from Polite Pig.
The already-famous joint is famous for serving slow-cooked, house-made BBQ meats that are totally worth the inevitable finger-lick when your plate is clean! My favorite item on the menu is the slow-cooked BBQ rotisserie chicken. The walk-up style service classifies it as quick serve, but the food prep is anything but rushed.
- La Cantina de San Angel (World Showcase)- If you’re looking to fuel up on an authentic meal that won’t cost you much of your most precious commodity (time), look no further than Mexico! This quick-serve restaurant has one major thing going for it: it shares a kitchen with the adjacent table service restaurant…and the food speaks for itself! My favorite item on the menu is the always fresh ensalada Mexicana. With a side of beans, rice, and grilled chicken to top the salad, you’ve got yourself a fast, healthy and delicious meal that won’t eat up your park time! Pun definitely intended.
- Sunshine Seasons (Epcot)- So you’ve got a big travel party. One person is craving Chinese food, another wants a hearty plate of meat, and another is looking for something healthy. And suddenly lunch turns into a major headache of running from restaurant to restaurant to please everyone’s taste buds…but it doesn’t have to! The quick-serve Sunshine Seasons is perfect for large groups as they have stations serving everything from pizza to BBQ to Asian-inspired dishes sure to please everyone in your group!
- Satu’li Canteen (Animal Kingdom)- Saving my favorite for last as I always like to do, Satu’li Canteen in Pandora is my most recent quick-serve obsession. I like to (try) to eat as healthily as possibly on vacation, and Satu’li’s wide range plant and grain-based bowls make lunch and dinner a no-brainer when my belly calls.
Every bowl option at Satu’li is customizable, so whether you want to pair your beef with greens and spicy sauce or your fish with grains, you have the power to choose!
Are you planning to book a Disney vacation for you and your family? I’d love to help! You can find me over on Facebook, or contact me directly at email@example.com, or 800-308-6257