47 Reasons Why We Love Magic Kingdom on Its 47th Anniversary
Today is a very special day for Disney fans of all ages as Magic Kingdom celebrates its 47th anniversary. The ultimate playground for children of all ages, there is so much to see, do and explore at this whimsical theme park – and so much to love! That’s why we thought it a fitting tribute to celebrate Magic Kingdom’s 47th birthday by sharing with you 47 reasons why this is one of our favorite places on earth! If you’re planning your first Disney getaway be sure to jot down some of your favorites and give them a try during your inaugural visit. If you’ve been before, how many of your must-do’s have made the cut?
1. Rope Drop – Nothing says “I’ve arrived at Disney World” quite like getting to the park early to check out the Magic Kingdom welcome show at the Castle Forecourt Stage. Featuring Mickey and cast of his favorite friends its the perfect opportunity to start the day with a song!
2. 8AM Dining Reservations – Try to nab one at Be Our Guest, Crystal Palace or Cinderella’s Royal Table. There’s something so magical about dining in an empty park and heading to your favorite attractions without the lines!
3. Walt Disney World Railroad – Why run from one side of the Magic Kingdom to the next when you can simply hitch a ride on this hugely underrated attraction? With stops at Main Street USA, Frontierland and Storybook Circus, it’s a fun way to get around!
4. Meeting Mickey at Town Square Theatre – No visit to Magic Kingdom would be complete without a visit to meet Mickey in his dressing room. The photo ops you’ll get here are priceless!
5. Picking Up a Hotdog at Casey’s Corner – There are a handful of must-try Magic Kingdom snacks and grabbing a hotdog at Casey’s Corner on Main Street is definitely one of them. Whether you go for a giant dog like the one above or your standard ketchup and mustard variety one thing is for certain. It will be delicious.
6. Plaza Ice Cream Parlor – Since we are on the topic of food, across the way you’ll find this ice cream-lovers paradise. Whether it’s a simple cone your after or a Mickey’s Kitchen Sink Sundae you will be delighted at the playful touches added to make your ice cream a Disney-themed treat you won’t forget!
7. Dining With Pooh and Friends – One of our favorite dining experiences at Walt Disney World has to be at Crystal Palace. Guests for breakfast, lunch or dinner are joined by Pooh and friends who will personally visit your table and sign autographs. Couple this with an all-you-care-to-enjoy buffet and its an hour well spent!
8. The Back Side of Water – One of the reasons why Jungle Cruise in Adventureland is a must-do for Disney fans is the fun banter and delightful jokes told by the Skippers that man the boats on this classic Disney attraction. It’s hard not to laugh at the dry wit and silly hijinks which is why lines are usually at around 60 minutes long all year! Its a great use of FastPass.
9. The Spitting Camel – Its little details that can really add to the Disney magic like this friendly fella hanging out just outside the Magic Carpets of Aladdin in Adventureland. Be careful. He may just have a startling surprise in store for you!
10. Dole Whips – This is the quintessential Disney World snack and it’s easy to see why. This tasty treat is available at Aloha Isle in Adventureland where you can get it as a soft serve or in a float with pineapple juice. Trust us when we say it is the taste of being on holiday!
11. Waffle Sandwiches – Another Magic Kingdom snack hotspot is Sleepy Hollow Refreshments located in Liberty Square where you’ll find an amazing array of Waffle Sandwiches. From the savory Sweet and Spicy Chicken Waffle to the decadent Fresh Fruit Waffle with strawberries and chocolate hazelnut spread, these treats do not disappoint.
12. Updates to the Pirates of the Caribbean Attraction – If it’s been a while since you enjoyed the Pirate’s life in Adventureland give it another go! Recent changes to some of the key scenes as well as special effects take it from strength to strength!
13. Splash Mountain at Night – This Frontierland headliner will always be one of our favorite rides and there is something extra special about enjoying it under the cover of darkness with the park all lit up! It also makes for an even more thrilling final plunge!
14. Tom Sawyer Island – If you are visiting Magic Kingdom over more than one day then be sure to hop the raft over to this Frontierland hideaway. Its a nice change of pace to meander and explore with hands-on fun that small kids love!
15. Pirates League Makeovers – To really get in the spirit, arrange for some swashbuckling fun with a Pirate-themed makeover at The Pirates League in Adventureland. There are a variety of packages to choose from and options that will suit all budgets. Find out more here.
16. Columbia Harbour House – This Liberty Square Quick Service eatery is a best-kept secret amongst Cast Members and Disney regulars. The food selection has some great seafood options but what makes it a standout is the fantastic (and unbusy) upstairs dining room. Its a sea of calm during your busy park days!
17. Haunted Mansion Murder Mystery- If you have some time to spare, pay careful attention to the busts you’ll find at the start of the line queue for Haunted Mansion, they have a “who-done-it” story to tell. Can you solve the crime by following the clues?
18. Tangled Restrooms – Never has a restroom area been imbibed with such whimsy making this the perfect place to take a pit stop during your travels!
19. Peter Pan Ice Cream Float – Head over to Storybook Treats for the new snack everyone is talking about. This frozen concoction is made up of key lime soft serve, sprite and a red feather chocolate garnish. It’s the perfect way to cool off in the Orlando heat!
20. Interactive Queue at Peter Pan’s Flight – This beloved is attraction is a must-do for guests visiting Disney World for the first time. For those that didn’t get a FastPass we think you’ll love the interactive ride queue here. There are some beautiful Neverland touches thrown in with a nice dose of pixie dust.
21. Views from Pinocchio Village Haus – If looking for a place to grab lunch in Fantasyland we recommend Pinocchio Village Haus. The flatbreads are amazing with a new one on offer every month and the dining room has views of the entrance to “it’s a small world.”
22. Pete’s Silly Sideshow – Head to the back of Storybook Circus and you’ll find a big top tent filled with your favorite Disney friends. You can meet Minnie, Daisy, Donald and Goofy all dressed up for the circus. They make for great photos without the crazy lines!
23. Casey Jr Splash ‘N’ Soak Station – This water playground is the perfect place for kids of all ages to cool off when temperatures start to soar. With restrooms nearby and towels on sale its a great place for spontaneous and refreshing Disney fun!
24. Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party – Running from the end of August through until the end of October these special ticketed party nights are brimming with Halloween fun. Highlights include special parades, fireworks, stage shows and trick-or-treating. Find out more here!
25. Getting a Trim at Harmony Barber Shop – That’s right, Magic Kingdom has it’s own functional Barber Shop where you can get a trim! Located near the entrance to the park they even do special packages for your little one’s first haircut!
26. Dining with Princesses – Make her fairy tale dreams come true by scoring a coveted reservation at Cinderella’s Royal Table where your princess can rub shoulders with Disney royalty including Belle, Ariel, Cinderella, Jasmine, Snow White, Aurora and more!
27. Meeting Gaston – In Fantasyland, guests have the chance to rub shoulders with one of Disney’s most formidable baddies. He’s big on charm, sarcasm and a big dose of Disney humor making him one of the park’s most popular meet and greets. You can find him outside of his tavern!
28. Festival of Fantasy Parade – The theme park comes alive with this afternoon celebration featuring so many incredible Disney characters that you’ll lose count. Be sure to find a viewing spot early as you won’t want to miss the fun!
29. Happily Ever After Fireworks Dessert Parties – Add a splash of the VIP treatment to your Magic Kingdom visit and ensure that you’ll have fantastic sight lines for the evening fireworks displays by booking your place at one of Tomorrowland Terrace’s dessert parties. Not only will get to indulge in a wide array of delicious Disney treats but exclusive fireworks viewing areas mean you’ll get a view that is absolute perfection.
30. Tomorrowland Transit Authority People Mover – This classic Tomorrowland attraction provides the perfect way to cool off and relax at Magic Kingdom. Guests get to sit back and relax while enjoying a bird’s eye view of the incredible Tomorrowland surroundings. There’s even a behind-the-scenes visit to Space Mountain!
31. Le Fou’s Brew – Head over to Gaston’s Tavern to enjoy one of our favorite frozen drinks at Magic Kingdom. This delightful beverage is made up of frozen apple juice with a hint of toasted marshmallow and passion fruit foam. Its perfect for sipping as you stroll.
32. Flying Tinkerbell – It’s a bird, it’s a plane! No it’s actually Tinker Bell flying through the night sky as part of Magic Kingdom’s incredible “Happily Ever After” fireworks display. This is one of those iconic Disney moments that you won’t soon forget!
33. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train – This Fantasyland family coaster is such a fun attraction that no visit to Magic Kingdom would be complete without a ride! Revisit some of your favorite characters from Snow White will enjoying incredible views of the theme park!
34. Mickey’s Philharmagic – This attraction tends to be slightly under-the-radar but it consistently ranks as one of our favorites. Sit back and enjoy the air-conditioned theater while you witness an incredible 3D run-through of magical musical moments from many of Disney’s much-loved films.
35. Sword in the Stone – Do you have what it takes to be the next King of England. Try your hand at removing the infamous sword from the stone just outside of Prince Charming’s Regal Carrousel!
36. Dining in the West Wing – Be Our Guest in Fantasyland offers up a Beauty and the Beast Dining experience so magical it should definitely be on your must-do list. For a special treat head to the gothic West Wing where you can delight in the eerie charm of Beast’s Castle and even watch the petals fall from the Enchanted Rose on display here!
37. Country Bear Jamboree – This classic Disney attraction manages to melt our hearts every time. You’re sure to have a toe-tapping good time. The length of the show also makes it a great option when the rain starts to fall!
38. Keys to the Kingdom Tour – Disney World offers so many fantastic behind-the-scenes tours that you need to try at least one. We love this 5-hour look at Disney World’s most iconic theme park. This tour even takes you to the Utilidor, the hidden underground level beneath the theme park.
39. Ariel’s Grotto – Don’t miss this rare opportunity to meet Ariel in Fantasyland. This is the only meet and greet where she is sporting her fins and not her human legs!
40. Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom – Looking for a unique, immersive way to experience the theme park? This interactive card game is just the ticket. Locate magical portholes around Magic Kingdom and unlock some fun and engaging secrets as you try to save the park from Hades’ evil clutches.
41. Opening Scene of Enchanted Tales with Belle – We don’t want to give too much away but when that magical porthole opens up at the beginning of this beloved Fantasyland attraction, it is sure to give you goosebumps!
42. Besting Your Score at Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin – Calling all sharpshooters, you’ll love this interactive Tomorrowland attraction where you go toe-to-toe against Zurg and his evil minions! This ride keeps careful tabs on how many baddies you manage to take out making it fun to compete against family and friends.
43. The Emporium – This treasure trove with every bit of Disney merchandise you could ever imagine actually takes up the entire left-side of Main Street USA. Its perfect for having a stroll while beating the crowds and picking up a few bargains along the way!
44. Sonny Eclipse – We heard a rumor that Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Cafe in Tomorrowland is the busiest restaurant in the World. Regardless of whether or not that is true or just a bit of Disney lore, this animatronic character is sure to delight while you tuck into some tasty Quick Service dishes.
45. Shopping at Momento Mori – One of our favorite gift shops at Walt Disney World, this Liberty Square merchant located next to the Haunted Mansion specializes in all things macabre. From ghostly portraits to spooktacular clothing, it’s the perfect place to find that unique gift.
46. Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party – Each November and December Magic Kingdom pulls out all of the stops with this special ticketed winter celebration. From snow falling on Main Street to an appearance by Santa himself its the perfect way to make your family’s Christmas dreams come true!
47. The Kiss Goodnight – Linger a bit after the fireworks have finished for this emotional Magic Kingdom send off. This is a favorite way to wind out your day among Disney regulars.
Are all of these exciting offerings tempting you to plan a Disney visit? Now is a perfect time. There are great discount packages available through until next April and reservations can currently be made throughout 2019! Fill out our form below for your FREE, no obligation quote!
Find articles like this helpful? Then why not consider working with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner? As an agent with MickeyTravels, I’ll be on hand to help you with everything from finding your perfect package to nabbing those hard-to-get dining and FastPass reservations. I also love sharing tips and tricks to help you get the most out of your time at the parks. Best of all my services are absolutely FREE. Get in touch at 1.800.801.4025 via email at email@example.com or follow along on Facebook.
Image copyright Disney.