Is It Too Late to Plan a Summer Getaway to Walt Disney World?
This article is a shout out to all of my fellow last-minute Disney travellers! Though many Disney-focused sites suggest that you need months of meticulous planning when it comes to a Disney getaway, for many of us, it just isn’t possible. If you’ve decided to make this the Summer you take the family to Disney World but haven’t yet made plans, there’s no need to fret! Here’s everything you need to know!
Is It Too Late to Nab a Summer Discount?
Not at all! Disney is currently running a few awesome Summer promotions offering quite a bit of savings off of your Walt Disney World Resort Stay! This includes the following:
- Summer Room Offer – Guests staying at select Walt Disney World resorts can save up to 25% off your room cost for stays through until the end of August is booking before August 28, 2019. As an added bonus. Those booking before June 30th will also receive a Disney Gift Card for use each night during your stay! More information on this discount can be found here.
- Savor Your Summer Discount Offer – Guests booking a 4-night/5-day stay at a select Walt Disney World resort before June 30th can get one FREE quick service meal a day for stays through August 21, 2019.
- Summer One World Ticket – Get a Summer discounted ticket giving you access to each Disney World theme park for $444 per adult (plus tax) and $414 per child (plus tax). For more information on this ticket offer check out this article.
- Florida Resident Resort Discount – Locals can stay in the middle of the magic at Walt Disney World Resort and save up to 30% on select Disney resorts for stays between July 1 and August 28, 2019.
- Florida Resident Ticket Discount – For those living in the sunshine state you can purchase a 4-day Get Your Ears On Ticket for $55 per day plus tax ($219 plus tax l) or a 3-day ticket for $67 per day plus tax (total of $199 plus tax.) More information on this discount can be found here.
Will There Still Be Availability at Walt Disney World Resorts?
Walt Disney World has over 25 incredible resorts meaning that you should still be able to get yourself a room this summer. However, when planning a last minute Disney getaway it is always important to go into the process with a bit of flexibility. Resort choices may be limited (depending on your dates) which means you may not get your first choice of resort. Go into the process with an open mind. Though many of Disney’s most popular resorts will fill up months in advance there still bound to be options that will work for your family. Whether you are booking online, by calling Disney or through an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner like MickeyTravels, having a list of several properties where you wouldn’t mind staying is always a good idea.
Can’t find availability during your preferred dates? Then play around with your dates a wee bit. Sometimes switching your check-in date from a Sunday to a Monday might open up new resort options!
Will I Be Able to Get Dining Reservations?
A huge concern for those planning a last-minute visit to Disney World is whether you’ll be able to get any advanced dining reservations during your stay! Though many reservations book up 6 months in advance, there are a TON of places to eat a Disney and even for last-minute travellers, there is usually a selection of restaurants that you can book. Similar to resorts go into it with flexibility and an open mind. Now you may not be able to score a reservation at Cinderella’s Royal Table or Be Our Guest but you may find princess dining at 1900 Park Fare or a lovely dinner at one of Epcot’s incredible World Showcase restaurants.
Another quick tip I like to pass on to my clients is that when it comes to dining reservations step up your search 30-days before you are due to arrive at Disney. This is the final payment deadline for Disney vacations and is a popular time for cancellations meaning availability may open up! Additionally, keep looking even while you’re at the parks. Guests tend to cancel reservations a day beforehand meaning you may just find a dining reservation gem!
Won’t It Be Impossible to Get FastPasses?
Disney World’s FastPass system will revolutionize the way you visit the theme parks! Under the system, guests can jump to the front of the line for 3 of your favorite rides and attractions each day. A huge perk of the FastPass system is that onsite guests can make your FastPass selections 60 days before you arrive (offsite guests make these at the 30-day mark) using the My Disney Experience App. However, this doesn’t mean that anyone booking a vacation at the last minute misses out! Similar to dining (above), FastPass availability is constantly in a state of flux. Guests are making or dropping FastPasses all the time which means new availability can crop up at any moment. If there’s an attraction that you really want to get a FastPass for but couldn’t get it – keep trying! You’ll be amazed at what comes up. Though super popular rides like Flight of Passage in Animal Kingdom or Seven Dwarfs Mine Train in the Magic Kingdom may not be available you should still find plenty of selections to fill your day.
Will I Still Be Able to Get MagicBands?
Yes! All guests booking an onsite Walt Disney World resort stay will be issued with a complimentary MagicBand. This serves as the key to all of the magical things you’ll do during your stay. Your MagicBand can be used as your room key, ticket to the theme parks, holds your dining reservations can be used as payment and so much more. Prior to your stay, guests have the ability to customize the colors and have your names engraved on your MagicBands. Many last-minute travelers worry that you won’t have enough time to customize or get your bands but this isn’t the case. MagicBand customizations can be made pretty last minute. Customize up to 11 days before you arrive at Disney and they’ll still be shipped to your home. If you customize bands with only 10 to 6 days before you arrive at Disney, your bands will be waiting at the resort for you. If you’re planning a getaway with under 5 days you’ll still receive a Magic Band but will get a standard grey version.
Will I Still Qualify for FREE Airport Transfers?
Disney’s Magical Express free airport shuttle is designed to accommodate last-minute travelers. You can even show up at the Magical Express desk at the airport without a reservation and they’ll still let you hop on the bus from the airport. All you need to do is show proof that you’re staying onsite. However, one of the key elements of the service that concerns last-minute travelers is baggage collection. With Magical Express Disney will pick up your bags at the airport so that you don’t need to wait at the baggage carousel. In order to utilize the service visitors are issued with special luggage tags that you put on your bags before you check them in at the airport. However, if you’re planning a last minute Summer getaway and there isn’t time for your luggage tags to be sent to the airport there’s no need to worry! All you need to do is bring your baggage claim stickers given to you by your airline and hand them to the Cast Member at Magic Express and they’ll STILL collect your luggage!
Do I Have To Pay Off My Package Upfront?
It depends how last minute you book. Full payment is due for your Walt Disney World vacation package 30-days before you are due to arrive at Disney. If you are planning a vacation with under 30 days to go, you will be required to pay for your entire stay up front. If planning a last-minute Summer getaway, it’s also important to familiarize yourself with Disney World’s cancellation policy. This is as follows:
- Cancellations made 30 days or more prior to guest arrival, amounts paid, minus cancellation fees assessed by third party hotels or other suppliers, non-refundable air transportation, non-refundable runDisney race registrations, travel insurance premiums, and other amounts owed, will be refunded.
- Cancellations made 2 days to 29 days prior to guest arrival, amounts paid, minus a cancellation fee of $200.00 per package and minus any cancellation fees assessed by third party hotels or other suppliers, non-refundable air transportation, non-refundable runDisney race registrations, travel insurance premiums and other amounts owed, will be refunded. No refunds are given for cancellation of any personalized products or experiences.
- Cancellations made 1 day or less prior to guest arrival or for no-shows, the full price of the package is non-refundable.
We here at MickeyBlog hope that we’ve shown you that a last-minute Summer getaway is do-able. If you’re thinking about paying a Summer 2019 visit to the Mouse definitely consider enlisting the services of a Disney Travel Planner. Not only can we help you plan your perfect package but we’ll also be on hand to help with everything from making your FastPass and dining reservations to sharing tips to help you get the most out of your Summer stay! Getting started is easy! Simply fill out our form below to get your FREE, no-obligation quote with MickeyTravels.
Find articles like this helpful? Then why not consider working with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner? As an agent with MickeyTravels, I’ll be on hand to assist you with everything from finding your perfect package to helping you plan lots of special touches to make your visit truly magical. Best of all my services are absolutely FREE. Get in touch at 1.800.801.4025 via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow along on Facebook