Disney Announces Film Release Schedule Through 2027
Get your popcorn ready! The Walt Disney Studios has unveiled its upcoming film releases. This is following the recent acquisition of the Fox film studios so it includes changes to previously dated films and a number of major additions.
2019 Summer Releases
After kicking off with the record-setting success of Marvel Studios’ Avengers: Endgame, The Walt Disney Studios’ 2019 summer slate includes:
- Tolkien – May 10
- Aladdin – May 24
- Dark Phoenix – June 7
- Toy Story 4 – June 21
- Stuber – July 12
- Disney’s The Lion King – July 19
- The Art of Racing in the Rain – August 9
- Ready or Not – August 23
2019 Fall/Winter Releases
The Studios’ 2019 slate rounds out with the following:
- Ad Astra -September 20, 2019
- The Woman in the Window – October 4
- Maleficent: Mistress of Evil – October 18
- Ford V. Ferrari – November 15
- Frozen 2 – November 22
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker – December 20
- Spies in Disguise – December 25
2020 Film Releases
Among early 2020 titles are:
- Underwater – January 10, 2020
- A new Kingsman movie – February 14, 2020
- Call of the Wild – February 21, 2020
- Onward – March 6, 2020
- Mulan – March 27, 2020
- The New Mutants – April 3, 2020
- Untitled Marvel Movie – May 1, 2020
- Artemis Fowl – May 29, 2020
- Untitled Pixar Movie – June 19, 2020
- Free Guy – July 3, 2020
- Bob’s Burgers – July 17, 2020
- Jungle Cruise – July 24, 2020
- The One and Only Ivan – August 14, 2020
- Death on the Nile – October 9, 2020
- Untitled Marvel Movie – November 6, 2020
- Ron’s Gone Wrong – November 6, 2020
- Untitled Disney Animation Movie – November 25, 2020
- West Side Story – December 18, 2020
- Cruella – December 23, 2020
Avatar and Star Wars
The updated calendar also sets release dates for major franchises Avatar and Star Wars. With Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker bringing the original Skywalker Saga to its conclusion. Three new as-yet-untitled Star Wars films will release on the pre-Christmas weekend every other year beginning in 2022. Four forthcoming Avatar films, expanding the vibrant world of Pandora, will release on the pre-Christmas weekend every other year beginning in 2021 and ending in 2027.
In the holiday corridor for 2020, Fox’s West Side Story adaptation, directed by Steven Spielberg, will debut December 18 in the pre-Christmas slot, with Disney’s Cruella opening Wednesday, December 23, for the long holiday weekend.
“We’re excited to put in place a robust and diverse slate that lays the foundation of our long-term strategy, bringing together a breadth of films from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Lucasfilm, Fox, Fox Searchlight and Blue Sky Studios to create an extraordinary collection of cinematic experiences for audiences around the world,” said Cathleen Taff, president, Theatrical Distribution, Franchise Management, and Business & Audience Insights, The Walt Disney Studios. “With a strong summer already in place, we are eager to carry that momentum forward over the coming years thanks to a creative wellspring of bold and imaginative stories coming from our world-class studios—including several new chapters of two revered franchises, Avatar and Star Wars.”
Ready to experience Disney for yourself?
There are still fantastic 2019 packages available. Fill out our form below for your FREE, no-obligation quote with an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner with MickeyTravels!
Do you want more help planning your next Disney vacation? As an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner, my goal is to help you plan the Magic your way. I also create customized itineraries, book advanced dining and FastPass+ reservations, monitor for discounts for your vacation, and much much more! Also, did I mention that my services are FREE? Get in touch toll-free at 1-800-454-4501, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow me on Facebook!