Fun Ways to Celebrate Columbus Day at Disney World
Happy Columbus Day! Celebrating Columbus Day at Disney is so much fun!
Adventures at sea and a world of newly discovered possibilities are at the forefront of our minds on Columbus Day! In case you don’t know why we celebrate the holiday, here is a very long, tedious, and impossible to follow history lesson to catch you up: in 1492, Columbus sailed the ocean blue. Although his initial assumption that he landed in India was way, way off, we have him and his brave crew to thank for the nation we know today.
If Columbus hadn’t discovered America when he did, the entire course of world history would have been different. We might not have the nation we know today, and without that, the Disney Parks would not exist! Let’s not imagine such a sad and depressing world, so instead let’s celebrate Columbus for his bravery, his discoveries, and his insatiable need to explore.
Columbus was, at heart, a true explorer, and on Columbus Day 2018, I’m lacing up my boots and gearing up to explore Walt Disney World Resort in brand-new ways…all in honor of Christopher Columbus! Here are some ideas to get you started on your journey:
Explore the American Adventure
- Take a step back into Colonial American history when you enter the American Adventure Pavilion! In addition to the Imagineer-created paintings that hang on the walls, a brand-new art exhibit has just opened and is just begging for you to discover it!
- The Voices of Liberty perform live shows in the Pavilion each day. Harkening back to a time before technology, the rolling daily performances will open your eyes to what America was like way back in the day
- Discover a new style of music at Eat to the Beat concert series! Taking place on weekends during Food and Wine Festival, hear a set by a new band you’re unfamiliar with. You just might discover a new favorite genre.
Explore Fall at Disney Springs
With all-new autumn-themed experiences in 2018, Columbus Day is a great time to explore and discover Disney Springs like never before.
- The PhotoPass Studio is offering a slew of brand-new backdrops- don’t miss your chance to say cheese!
- Take a leisurely stroll through the Springs and see how many of the new autumn decorations you can find! Keep a tally among your family and see who counts the most!
- The restaurants around the Springs are really getting into the season this year! Enzo’s Hideaway is serving up a fall harvest soup, Amorette’s is baking and piping gorgeous autumn cakes, and even Dockside Margaritas is featuring fall flavored drinks. Check out the lineup of restaurants participating in WonderFall at Disney Springs:
Explore the Resorts Along the Boat Routes
I’m pretty sure planes weren’t invented when Columbus began his impossible task of crossing the Atlantic. No, he sailed that big blue ocean with a fleet of very small, very traditional ships. I for one am always eager to get on the waterways of Walt Disney World, and there isn’t a better day to explore a new Resort along one of the boat routes! Here are the Resorts you can access by (complimentary) boat service:
- Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort
- Disney’s Port Orleans- French Quarter
- Disney’s Port Orleans- Riverside
- Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort and Campgrounds
- Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort
- Disney’s Contemporary Resort
- Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort
- Disney’s Boardwalk
- Disney’s Yacht and Beach Clubs
- Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin
Explore Epcot International Food and Wine Festival
If Columbus were afraid to try new things, we’d all be calling Europe home. I’m inspired by anyone who is brave enough to venture into any new or uncharted territory. I’m taking on his spirit of adventure at Epcot’s International Food and Wine Festival and challenging myself to try foods from countries I’ve never visited! Here are the menu items I’ve been too afraid to taste- which will you try?
- Spain (Columbus’ sponsor country!)- Charcuterie in a Cone
- France- Croissant aux escargot
- Madras Red Curry with Roasted Cauliflower, Baby Carrots, Chickpeas and Basmati Rice
- Morocco- Hummus Fries with Cucumber, Tomato, Onions and Tzatziki Sauce
- Seared Shrimp and Scallop Cake with Cold Noodle Salad
Thanks for visiting MickeyBlog.com! Want to go to Disney? For a FREE quote on your next Disney vacation, please fill out the form below and one of the agents from MickeyTravels, a Platinum level Authorized Disney Vacation Planner, will be in touch soon!
Special thanks to Maria Salerno for writing this article: Hiya pal! I am a NYC-based writer thrilled to a part of your Disney vacation planning! I’m a WDW Annual Passholder, so you can find me in the parks regularly throughout the year. In addition to being a Disney Parks loving girl, I’m also a Disney toy and merchandise collector, a runDisney enthusiast, and Disney music and movie aficionado. You can follow me on Instagram: NYCtoAP and find me on YouTube: NYCtoAP. Thanks for reading, hope to see ya real soon!