Guests Can Now Unlock Your Resort Room Door Using Your Mobile Phones With Disney’s Digital Key
Over the last few months, Disney has been hard at work increasing the functionality of the My Disney Experience App. This handy bit of tech is an essential as you begin to plan out your holiday as you can customize MagicBands and book FastPass and dining reservations with this tool. But the fun doesn’t stop there, once at the parks the app will help you with theme park directions, locating characters, managing your reservations, tracking resort buses and even ordering food. As if it couldn’t get any better, Disney announced this month that the My Disney Experience App can now also be used to unlock your resort room door with a new digital key function!
This new feature made it’s debut at Wilderness Lodge earlier this year and this week is being rolled out to Disney Resort hotels including DVC properties. Here’s a complete list of the Disney World properties offering digital key capabilities.
Currently, this feature is only available at these Disney Resort hotels:
- Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
- Copper Creek Villas & Cabins at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
- Boulder Ridge Villas at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
- The Cabins at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort
- Disney’s Beach Club Resort
- Disney’s Beach Club Villas
- Disney’s Yacht Club
- Disney’s BoardWalk Villas
- Disney’s BoardWalk Inn
- Disney’s Contemporary Resort
- Bay Lake Tower at Disney’s Contemporary Resort
- Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
- The Villas at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
- Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort
- Disney’s Polynesian Villas & Bungalows
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom Villas – Kidani Village
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom Villas – Jambo House
- Disney’s Old Key West Resort
- Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
- Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort
- Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort
- Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – Riverside
- Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – French Quarter
- Disney’s Art of Animation Resort
- Disney’s Pop Century Resort
- Disney’s All-Star Music Resort
- Disney’s All-Star Movies Resort
- Disney’s All-Star Sports Resort
Disney is hoping the digital key feature will add a bit of convenience and flexibility to your Walt Disney World stay. Using the digital key in conjunction with your MagicBands means you’ll never need to worry about getting locked out of your resort room or what happens if you lose your MagicBand.
Here’s how it works:
Follow these simple steps to unlock the door at your Disney Resort hotel
- If Bluetooth on your mobile device is turned off, turn it on.
- Download and open the My Disney Experience app.
- Link your Disney Resort hotel reservation to your Disney account.
- View your Disney Resort hotel reservation.
- Select “Unlock Door”.
- Agree to use your device to unlock your door.
- Hold your mobile device against the door lock.
If you wish to no longer use your phone to unlock your door, please visit the Front Desk of your Disney Resort hotel. We’re also being told that if you listen closely when you unlock your resort room door using the digital key that you’ll hear the sound of pixie dust!
In addition to your resort room door, you can also use the digital key to unlock hotel entrance gates and common areas requiring a key including fitness centres, elevators, club level lounges and more! Also if you utilize Disney’s online check-in service it also gives you the ability to bypass the long check-in lines and you can instead head directly to your resort room.
Here’s a video created by Disney that walks your through this exciting new digital key process:
Have several adults in the room that want to utilize the service? No problem! Each guest staying in the room with a My Disney Experience account may opt-in and activate the service on check-in day by following the brief set-up process outlined above.
Does this eliminate the need for me to wear my MagicBand? Not yet. It is being speculated that the bands may eventually become a thing of the past but for now they are still being used for park entry, FastPass+ redemption, MemoryMaker and more!
Guests heading to Disney and hoping to use the new Digital Key service will want to make sure that you have downloaded the latest version of the My Disney Experience app for iOS or Android before you head to the Disney World.
Why not plan a trip to Disney World and check out this nifty bit of tech for yourself! Fill out a form below and an agent from MickeyTravels will be in touch with your FREE, no obligation quote!
Image credit: Disney.