National Running Day at Disney
This edition of the National Days articles is one that’s very near and dear to my heart and one that I’m very excited to share with all of you! National Running Day is June 6th this year and I’m hoping that on that day my legs will be so inspired to run I’ll shave at least 2 solid minutes off my average mile pace (kidding…although it’d be nice). All jokes aside, I’m a huge fan of the sport and although I don’t think I’ll be receiving an invitation to the next summer Olympic qualifiers, I’m just as dedicated to racking up weekly miles and looking forward to sweating it out during summertime runs as the next marathon gold medalist.
Speaking of marathons…and half marathons and 10k’s and 5k’s, Walt Disney World Resort offers plenty of races throughout the year that welcome both novice and seasoned runners! The events are tons of fun, and if you’re considering signing up for one of the races, you should check out my review of the 2018 Star Wars Dark Side Race Weekend here! There are plenty of runDisney races to choose from this year, although they aren’t the only way you can runDisney while you’re on vacation…
The 2018-19 race calendar for Walt Disney World’s runDisney events webpage is officially live! While you can’t sign up for all of the year’s races yet, you need to make yourself aware of when the registration opens and ensure you’re ready to sign up that very same day! Since I know how important it is to make dining and hotel reservations 6 months ahead of your trip, I should have known the same would be true for last year’s Princess race weekend…the event sold out in record time, and since I wasn’t online when registration opened, I was not one of the runners on the start line. Once you register, the ‘run’ part begins! Since today is National Running Day, there isn’t a better or more appropriate time to sign up and start training.
If you’re totally new to runDisney, here are a few key points of sheer awesomeness you can expect when you enroll for your race of choice!
- Run through the theme parks before they open for the day!
- Race T-Shirt
- Virtual goodie bag
- Access to the runDisney health & fitness expo (there are lots of giveaways and great vendors!)
- Discounts on food, merchandise, and shopping during the race weekend
- Finisher medal
- On-course character photo opportunities and entertainment
- Official Photopass race photos
Even if you’ve never run a mile in your life, these races cater to runners of every level! They really are a lot of fun and no matter your skill level, I’m certain you’ll have a great time running through the parks! Here are the races coming to Walt Disney World in the next calendar year:
- Wine and Dine Half Marathon Weekend
- Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend
- Star Wars Rival Run Weekend
- Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend
Though there isn’t an official runDisney race taking place on National Running Day, you can run AT Disney! There are trails located at a few of the Disney Resorts specifically designed to help runners log some miles while on vacation without having to take to the sidewalk-less roadways that connect the Resort. There are plenty of trails of varying lengths to choose from, so pick the best one for you on National Running Day!
- Disney’s Port Orleans Riverside and French Quarter- 7 mile trail along Sassagoula River
- Disney’s Art of Animation/Pop Centure-38 mile loop around Hourglass Lake (you can watch the Skyway construction while you run!)
- Disney’s Old Key West- 3 mile trail with views of Disney’s Lake Buena Vista Golf Course
- Disney’s Saratoga Springs-44 and .8 mile loops with views of Disney’s Lake Buena Vista Golf Course
- Disney’s Fort Wilderness- 5 mile trail through the grounds
- Disney’s Boardwalk/Yacht/Beach Club Resorts and Swan and Dolphin- Several trails connect these resorts, with my favorite being the Crescent Lake loop with a view of World Showcase!
- Disney’s All-Star Movies/Music/Sports- 1 mile trail connecting the three hotels
- Disney’s Coronado Springs- .75 mile loop around El Dorado Lake (right now, you can watch construction of the newest DVC Resort and a new restaurant while running here)
Alright runners, take your mark! National Running Day is upon us, and it’s time you choose which trail you’ll be taking on today. Or, if you’re not at Walt Disney World, take a jog around your neighborhood before signing up for one of next seasons’ runDisney events. No matter which you choose, it’s all good, just so long as you RUN! Have you ever participated in a runDisney event? Which would you love the most? Let us know in the comments, and happy running!
Thanks for visiting MickeyBlog.com! For a FREE quote on your next Disney vacation, please fill out the form below!
Special thanks to Maria Salerno for writing this article: Hiya pal! I am a NYC-based writer thrilled to be bringing you all things Disney! I’m a WDW Annual Passholder, so you can find me in the parks regularly throughout the year. In addition to being a Disney Parks loving girl, I’m also a Disney toy and merchandise collector, a runDisney enthusiast, and Disney music and movie aficionado. You can follow me on Instagram: NYCtoAP and find me on YouTube: NYCtoAP. Thanks for reading, hope to see ya real soon!