The Magic of Disney’s BoardWalk Area
Many people do not know about all the fun to be had at Disney’s BoardWalk! Some confuse the BoardWalk area with Disney Springs, while others think it is just a resort area. If you haven’t taken some time during your WDW vacation to check out the BoardWalk area, you are definitely missing out on a lot of entertainment, great shopping and numerous dining options! Since Disney’s BoardWalk area is just a short walk from Epcot’s World Showcase and a quick boat ride from Hollywood Studios, it’s easy to fit a visit into your park days.
Upon arrival, you will be transformed to another time and place. The beauty and relaxed pace will bring you to “turn of the century” Atlantic City. As you stroll along the BoardWalk, you can stop and enjoy the street entertainers, indulge in a funnel cake and take in the sights and sounds of a different time. It’s easy to spend a day here enjoying all that the BoardWalk area has to offer (which is why I love staying at Disney’s BoardWalk Inn!)
Although this area has much more to offer than just the Disney resorts, let’s start by exploring where you can stay along the BoardWalk…
Disney’s BoardWalk Inn & Villas:
Reminiscent of the Atlantic City of a past era, this deluxe resort offers standard rooms, studio, 1-bedroom and 2-bedroom villas, some offering club-level access. Guest have their choice of standard, garden, water and BoardWalk views. There are 3 pools and a variety of dining options, including quick-service, casual, themed and signature dining, as well as in-room dining. BoardWalk Inn & Villas is within walking distance to Epcot and Hollywood Studios (although this is a slightly longer walk.) Water taxi service is available to both Epcot and Hollywood Studios, while bus service is available to all parks and Disney Springs.
Disney’s Beach Club Resort & Villas:
This deluxe resort is full of New England charm! Guests staying here can choose from standard rooms, studio, 1-bedroom and 2-bedroom villas, with standard, pool, lagoon, garden or woods views. In addition, many rooms and villas offer club-level access. Guests love the 4 pools, including Stormalong Bay, a white sand beach, and mini-powerboat rentals. Quick-service, casual, themed, signature and in-room dining are all available. The convenient location puts Epcot within walking distance, or choose to take the water taxi over, Hollywood Studios is a short boat ride away, and bus service is available to all parks and Disney Springs.
Disney’s Yacht Club Resort:
The more formal sister resort to Beach Club, this lakeside, grand New England yacht-club style hotel provides elegant accommodations, including standard rooms, deluxe rooms and 2-bedroom villas. Standard, garden, woods, pool, lagoon views are available for regular rooms, as well as club-level access rooms. The Yacht Club shares many amenities with the Beach Club, so guests can swim in the 3 leisure pools, play in Stormalong Bay, enjoy the white sand beach and rent a boat to take out for a spin. A variety of dining options from quick-service to fine dining are just steps away. As with all the resorts in this area, guests can walk or take a boat to Epcot, enjoy a convenient water taxi ride to Hollywood Studios or use the bus service to get to any of the parks and Disney Springs.
Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resorts:
The Swan and Dolphin Resorts are both located in the BoardWalk area and offer Walt Disney World guests deluxe accommodations, with some beautiful views! Here guests will find many recreational amenities, a children’s activity center, a spa and great dining options. Transportation is available to and from all parks and Disney Springs.
Although these accommodations are right in the middle of all the fun, you do not need to be a guest of these resorts to enjoy all there is to do in the BoardWalk area.
Here is my list of some Sweets & Treats, Restaurants and Fun Drink Spots that I recommend checking-out on your next visit, along with highlights of my top picks for each!
- Sweets & Treats:
- Ample Hills Creamery
- BoardWalk Bakery
- Funnel Cake Cart
- Beaches & Cream Soda Shop (TOP PICK!): Located at Disney’s Beach Club Resort, this old-fashioned soda shop serves lunch and dinner, along with delicious desserts, milkshakes, floats and ice cream treats! But my suggestion is to grab a few friends or family members and head here for the famous “Kitchen Sink!” This one of a kind dessert is served in a giant “kitchen sink” bowl. Here are just SOME of the ingredients: vanilla, chocolate, strawberry and mint chocolate chip ice cream, brownies, cake, candy, hot fudge, chocolate syrup, pineapple, strawberry, peanut butter and marshmallow toppings, chocolate and peanut butter chips, chocolate shavings, sprinkles and whipped cream! Yum!
- Big River Grille & Brewing Works
- ESPN Club
- Flying Fish
- Cape May Café
- Yachtsman Steak House
- Trattoria al Forno (TOP PICK!): This is my top pick because of the new Bon Voyage Adventure Breakfast that is fit for princes and princesses! Come meet Ariel, Prince Eric, Rapunzel and Flynn Rider! Your breakfast will start with a variety of pastries for your table to share. Then you get you choice of a fruit salad or a berry, yogurt and granola parfait. Next is your main entrée, featuring choices like a Tower of Pancakes and King Triton’s Shipwreck al Forno (Calzone with Soppressata, Bacon, Sausage, Blend of Cheeses, and Sunday Gravy) and more! Kids can choose favorites, such as pancakes or waffles and add Little Mermaid or Buzz Lightyear Punch! Such a fun morning treat!
- Fun Drink Spots:
- BoardWalk Joe’s Marvelous Margaritas (TOP CHOICE!): Stop by for a margarita or a pina colada…or how about trying a Captain’s Seaside Sensation or Magical Star Cocktail! Looking for a little snack? You can also get a Mickey pretzel, roasted nuts or nachos! For those looking for a non-alcoholic beverage, why not try a pineapple smoothie?
Still looking for more to do? There are always plenty of entertainment and shopping options:
- Street Entertainers, including jugglers, musicians, and magicians
- Caricature Artists
- Hair Wrappers
- Carnival Games
- Surrey Bike Rentals
- ESPN Club- Live Radio Sports Shows
- Jellyrolls (dueling piano bar for guests 21+)
- Atlantic Dance Hall (guests 21+ can dance the night away to the music of the 80s, 90s and today)
- Quaint gift shops featuring clothing, golf apparel, Disney character merchandise, local art, sundries and groceries
So, as you can see, Disney’s BoardWalk is truly a destination in itself! If you haven’t had a chance to visit, please make it a point to save some time during your next trip, even if it’s just to enjoy the Kitchen Sink with your family!
Want to experience all the magic Disney’s Boardwalk area has to offer with your family? Feel free to contact me for a FREE quote!
Authorized Disney Vacation Planner – Platinum Level
Click here to join my Facebook page!